How Small Can You Roll?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Gil, May 23, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Gil

Fascinating answer should go into the faq section. I have been looking for a metal set of measuring spoons for a while now.

I shall have to get used to CA but every time I use the stuff I stick myself to it never even thought about the needle idea.

Trouble is over the years my toolkit has become non existant. I noticed the Poles seem to repaint a lot of their kits.

Thanks I've learned an awful lot from this thread.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Take a thumb tip size piece of modeling clay and roll it into a ball. Poke a small pocket into the top to form a "bowl". Into this deposit fill with CA. This will suffice as a CA glue pot for your needle tool. Just let the CA dry up in the modeling clay and it can be lifted out and discarded without a problem. The needle can be soaked in acetone to loosen and remove the accumulated CA.

Best, Gil

P.S. Card modeling tools are litterally lyeing all about. Just keep a sharp eye and an open mind and they'll start popping up all over...,
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

The photo below is the "unwrapped" or developed section in JPEG format that you requested. The posting here is for completeness.

Best regards, Gil
  4. philippe

philippe Member

small tubes

instead rolling small tubes with paper, we can use dry grass, straw, its a good way to make some detailings parts like mast, aa guns,in small scales like 1/400 etc... and a good give to make a nice walk in family instead working alone in our workshop !
    it's a tip sponsorised by my family!
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Yes, parts for models litterally surround us wherever we go..., in fact your post made me take a look at the broom and lo! a host of cylindrical possiblities (solves the pushrod problem for the 1/33 Oberursel which has been waiting for such a solution). Thanks for the contribution!

Best regards, Gil

P.S. A thanks also goes to your family for their sponsorship.
  6. DN

DN Member

Hi guys
    I have some advice about this subject here
    Somewhat general, but I got good results, especially with tapered gun barrels.
  7. j77ason

j77ason New Member

For masts I get a paint brush of the approximate diameter and PVA glue the mast paper pattern to the paint brush handle (hogs hair paint brushes).
    When the glue had dried, I cut off the handle from the brush and hey presto - I have a solid mast to fit into the hull of my model and on which to build spars and so on.
    I go outside and select twigs from trees and bushes which are "dead wood" of the approximate diameter and length of the spars, etc - then PVA glue & wrap the paper patterns around the smooth twigs and hey prest, I have scale spars which are quite robust. I can trim them to final shape alter.
    For some reason, twigs on trees generally are round in circumference.
    When I am building guns, I take a thin nylon tube (Chupa Chup Stick) and glue on the paper pattern of the gun itself - this looks like a filled in L shape, usually.
    Just glue the paper to the tube. The casting on the outside of the barrel is formed automatically as I wrap the paper pattern around itself over the nylon tube.
    Usually the tubes are plenty long enough to have an excess which goes into the turret and provides strength to the assembly.
    All of my major turrets/guns turn freely on my models.
    I use a Chuppa Chup tube with a cotton bud inside which acts as a bearing - so prvided the turret turns at middle dead centre, there is no problem doing that.