How Project To Surface work...

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Jun 4, 2006.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Many people ask me about how to make panelline and camouflag inside rhino, They didnot understand why I said "add Panelline" in Rhino. Picture in this post will tell you about how "Project to Surface" work... First picture (A) is a line what I draw in Rhino for use like panelline and camouflag, Red line is draw in Right viewport to make panelline in vertical, Blue line is draw in Top View port use in horizontal panelline (like wing and tail wing) Yellow line is for decal :) and Brown line is for camouflag. In picture B and C is a result after I use function "Curve to Project" to drae all line into surface I did and D is a picture of unfold job what use "UnrollSrf" function. Hope this will be a little tip to help modeller who want to design your own model

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I guess this is going to be your next release Nobi? Someone will have to ID it cause I have no clue what it is. I guess i can go look up Brittish aircraft but I'm too lazy.
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

Fairey Battle I believe
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

:) right at the top, in the blue title bar it says, 'FAIREY BATTLE'
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rhino Project to Surface

Hi Nobi,

The Project to Surface command is a very useful command. It not only allows panel line and detail layout but also valuable for many other tasks.

P.S. Nice looking Fairey Battle...,
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Pull is another very useful command for this sort of work, although it works in a different way to Project to Surface. Instead of extruding the curve in a straight direction and plotting where it cuts the surface, Pull is 'magnetic', in that the surface attracts the curve at right-angles to itself; well, something like that! It can distort things considerably , but if you have a bit of a practice with it , it might be useful one day! Works best if the shape to be 'pulled' is fairly close to the surface, and not covering to big an arc relative to the surface. As usual with Rhino, check out the command list for more details.

Tim P
  7. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Nobi : thanks for the idea. This had confirm my approach of coming up with a decal for a plastic model plane (a P-51 Mustang sharkmouth). Draw the design on side elevation, project to surface, unfold the surface and extract the design..... thanks again......

8. keith

keith Member

do you import the texures from you metasequoia model or do you use a background image to trace your decals/panel lines?

9. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Thanks for showing this, Nobi. I had forgotten this tool, and it will be quite useful for a current school project.
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

I import background of 3 views drawing to trace a panelline. I use metaseq for only create a mesh :p

My MD-450 Ouragan have a shark mouse on nose too and I have not a problem in project a shark mouth into my mesh also no problem when unfold too...

I never use pull function before but I will look in help file to see how this function work but I think that will be a useful function

Ummm I cant predict a future, I need to re-work on E-2C hawkeye...many error on building step...I dont want an uncomplete model out of my desk. I think my customer will not happy :) so maybe this Battle will be next release :p

Hi Gil...can you please example another useful task from this useful function? I really want to know benefit from this function :) will be great help for me and another people.
  11. sandu

sandu Inactive Member

Tried the project to surface command of the evaluation v3, it worked for the surface but it did not show on the unrolled surface. Opinions?
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

When you unroll something it asks for the lines on the surface that you want unrolled with the surface. Rhino won't just do it for you.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Project to Commands

Hi Nobi, I use this and the project to CP whenever a curve constructed correctly in one view but is not planar as shown in another view. Projecting to a plane or CP makes the line planar again. This is usually followed by a transform by two points with or without the scale value on.

Wilja, Yeah, the surface AND the projected lines must be selected to unroll them.

I am currently working on a way to apply 3D paint to the surface and develop it using Pepakura which preserves applied surface texture in the unfolding process. As you might expect this opens up an interesting set of possibilities but also an exponential set of complexities..., -Gil