How old are you ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alex_mrrkb, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I don't knpw Cid. We'd have to check with the mod or admin.
  2. revandy

revandy Member

I guess this begs the question, why are we keeping polls active for so long? There should be a time limit.
    Rev. Andy
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I'm somewhere between infancy and senility. For a more exact response, you'll have to ask my wife - it apparently varies from day to day. :D
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Up to 241 responses! And the age does seem to be shifting a little
    in the younger direction. Dunno how representative we are but
    it's still very interesting!! (don't take much to interest me...):thumb:

Should be mandatory for all subscribers!! :D :D :D
    (if they don't lie about their age...) :D
  5. lapuce033

lapuce033 New Member

I know one thing is that my two kids are starting to take interest in my trains especially the 10 year old one....

P.S. the 5 year old only likes to make derailments at this time:cry::cry::cry:
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

lapuce033: The most frequently asked question when our club holds open house for the local elementary school is, "how do you make them wreck"?
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

If anything this poll does suggest a healthy group of younger people playing with trains than most people would say there were.
  8. Highlander1

Highlander1 Member

Just as I thought middle age bracket wins.

Before that were looking for lasses, then we get married spend all out cash on the kids. Kids get to a youthful age so we buy them toys we never had.

The kids are helped along with "their" train set. They get bored leave home to start their own way in life.

Then as the years go on we get too old to climb into the loft to play with the lay out any more.

Well my wee fellas still mad keen on the layout but that's what I think will happen. I will carry on long after he's left home.

Maybe with some luck his kids will be able to get up there with there dad, co's I will definatley be too knacked or wide round the middle to get up there.sign1

Cheers John & Dougs
  9. Highlander1

Highlander1 Member

Here is our access Cheers J&D

Attached Files:

10. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Good points, and this was pretty much true for me. My younger years were spent at university, getting started at work, getting married & settled into family-life. Then, as a "settled," middle-aged adult I got back into this hobby.

But I bet there are more elderly model railway enthusiasts than this forum indicates. My theory is that many elderly -- especially those in their 80s -- do not use computers and certainly don't surf the net and use forums. This is completely anecdotal but, in my circles, people use the web right up to their their 70s. But there's a big difference when it comes to people who are 80+. I think the web and forums are completely foreign to them but they're still run their trains. This poll bascially shows that its forum members are middle-aged.

I think my theory holds water but I could be wrong!

Cheers, Rob
  11. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

38 years old and going through my second childhood and mid life at the same time.
  12. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

I'll be hittin' 40 next month.
  13. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

:eek: AAAAAaaaaahhhh!!! I personally don't play trains!!!! I operate them. :thumb:

I've been brain washed from a young age not to play with trains. :D

Of course if anyone else wants to play that's fine.:D
  14. Highlander1

Highlander1 Member

I always wanted to be a train driver when I grey up but never got that far now I operate big trucks and play with my sons train set. Don't know what excuse I will give though when he leaves home.
    I will have to start operating them instead.
  15. Highlander1

Highlander1 Member

Hi madhatter

I always wanted to be a train driver when I grey up but never got that far, now I operate big trucks and play with my sons train set. Don't know what excuse I will give though when he leaves home.
    I will have to start operating them instead.

Sorry didn't realise that pressing enter for new paragraph duplicated the thread I am not a computer type person. Iv'e lost the smiley page so heres one of me operating a real chuffer

Attached Files:

16. Highlander1

Highlander1 Member

:D :D :D :D :D :wave: sign1

Found em Cheers J&D:thumb:
  17. Me Too

Ever wonder, why it is that the older we get, and the more time we have, the longer the "HONEY DO LIST" gets, and the less time we seem to have to work on our layouts?sign1 :D :D

18. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I must have missed out on part of that getting older and having more time thing. I got older but somehow lost the "have more time" part. Where did I go wrong? I'm still trying to find time for that summer off that I promised myself when I retired 12 years ago.
  19. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Hi Highlander1

That looks cool, I want to build a live steam model too but a locomotive for the rails, and yes, I too want to be a train driver, it's just that my country has funny circumstances.
  20. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I don't get it, either.

And it doesn't help if you move to a climate and area where stuff just grows and grows. I swear the grass grows an inch a day around here. My wife wants goats. I'm beginning to think she may be on to something. A fleet of self propelled mowers might help me keep up with the green stuff. If I could just figure a way to get them to be selective self propelled mowers.......