How old are you ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alex_mrrkb, Jan 1, 2003.

1. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

In May I turn 21.
  2. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

See, kids these days don't take the train to school or to the shops, and people don't really take a train to work- well here in South Africa anyway. If you like trains you are seen as a ninny. For 10 years I liked trains by myself- I didn't even know that you could get models of the stuff. Then in 1996 I went into the local bookshop and picked up a British Mag. called Model Enthusiast (It came with a free key chain) and my uncle bought it for me.

After that every few months my father would buy me books such as Model Railroader, etc.

The reason I like trains is because my father used to get a free pass, since the company he works for does the railways I.T. that was a benefit, so every year (mostley @ Christmas time) we would travel 1500km from Jo'burg to Cape Town on the Trans- Karoo.

I used to be so excited to hear we are going on the train I used to pack in October- toys and a blanket of course (Didn't care 'bout clothes)!!- and throw my suitcase under the bed.
  3. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I'm 51 but like Dick keep telling people that I'm 21 and that this year in June I will celebrate the 31st anniversary of my 21st birthday.

I was on again off again on trains from the time I was 4 until 1980 when military movers proved to me that trains and moving don't mix. Then dormant from then unit last year when you grandson now 4 got me interested again.

Good poll, enjoyed reading the response.

4. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

Glad someone resurrected this thread, as I missed it the first time around. I voted in the 30-35 category, even though I am tilting towards the downslope of my 30's, turning 36 in about 6 weeks. At my age, I really don't have a lot of time to devote to this hobby (career, 3 kids, honey-do list a mile long, etc), but I like to think that spending time on The Gauge, and working towards my first layout are like planting seeds, so that later in life when I do have more time, I will be better prepared to thoroughly enjoy immersing myself in model railroading!
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Same age as me, which I admit I find surprising. I guess I thought of you as this site's "representative" from South Africa and somehow expected you to be older.
    That's the thing about me - I liked trains since before I can remember, and since before I ever rode one. (Not much of a rider - once on a tourist train and a few times on light rail. That's what comes of living for 16 years in a city bypassed by our national passenger service.)
  6. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Looks like this thread was brought back from the grave, I LOVE WHEN THAT HAPPENS sign1

I am 17 years old and tuning 18 on July 13 bounce7 aussie sign1
  7. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I'm 76. It says I voted already, but there is no entry for my age group. I'm aware I don't count for much, but golllleeee.

8. Twiget

Twiget Member

53 the 16th of March. Retired member of Uncle Sam’s Canoe Club (USN) and just happy to be here.
    Pour me another Johnny Walker.sign1
  9. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey yellowlynn, this thread goes back so far that you probably
    voted for the 70-75 category... :)
  10. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I just voted.
    I'm 58 and will get retired in june.
    I'll do some intensive homebrewing , my wife and I just got our kitchen renovated 1 month ago.
    I'm started my 1st real ( small ) layout with scenery and structures etc..It is based on North American prototypes.
    Here in Montreal we live in an appartment so here I'm modeling in N scale.
    BUT my wife is Brazilian so we'll travel between Canada and Brasil at least once a year. Her family has a house in Sao-Paulo state so I purchased an HO Marklin set and will ship it to Brazil ( model railroad items are very difficult to find in Brasil ).
  11. CRed

CRed Member

Just turned 41 today....yipee!:)
  12. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

CRed, let me be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday.
  13. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

This is an interesting poll. (I voted a few days ago.)

One thing that might skew the results is that I bet there are many model railroaders who are in their 70s or 80s or older. I realize that this is very anecodotal, but from the people I know, most folks in their 80s do not use the web.

Sooo, this poll will only reflect the ages of Gauge members (who are probably quite a few years younger than the actual MRR demographic) & not the general MRR community. But I realize that that's what your trying to show -- sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious!

14. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

I'll be 36 in May although my wife says she often can't tell who the adult is when I am playing with my 5 year old daughter. She says that at times when I am not playing with her too...
    My love of trains stems from when I was really young and would walk on the railroad tracks with my grandpa. He liked trains a lot too. It also helped that I spent a lot of weekends with them and they live right beside a busy railroad track. When a train would come by the whole house would shake. It wasn't more than 20 feet from the track to the living room. Those are very fondly remembered times!
  15. revandy

revandy Member

I just turned the big 60 this past weekend, and I'm still trying to figure out where the hell did the last 50 years go?
  16. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

Intersting poll, it appears most are between 35-40 but not by much. I am 52 and have been into models of all kinds since I can't remember.
  17. CRed

CRed Member

Thank you I appreciate it!

18. rsn48

rsn48 Member

I don't know how credible this poll is now as I thought it was recent, only to realize the poll started in 2003, so add years to the respondents. Old members have left and new members are here. You might want to run the poll again but keep the old one to compare and see if the demographics have changed. In theory, it should be getting a little older as older guys are feeling more competent on computers and the internet. Internet polls by nature attract a younger crowd so in our hobby especially don't reflect the mean age of the general population.
  19. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Maybe, instead of asking for an age, ask what year you were born.
  20. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

That seems a real good idea, Clark! Would the Poll have to have 100 choices, and is this possible? Or is there another way for the Gauge to tabulate the responses?