How old are you ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alex_mrrkb, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I'm 42, & I'm already a grandfather!:D :rolleyes: :D
    (wht was that about "innocence" Jon? I musta missed that meeting! :D )
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Well, I shall be 66 in March, and have had around 60 years dabbling around in Model Railroads, from 0 gauge down to N and now H0. What can I say, it's a great hobby I love it all.

3. Mike R

Mike R Member

Hang tough folks, there aren't any "missing" railroaders between 40 and 55...our sample is too small, and we have "overlapping" age categories. ( 35-40, 40-45, etc. )
    The hobby theoretically has 500,000 folks in it,one way or another, in North America.
    This forum has 820 members, or less than 2/10 of 1% of the total.
    Of the 820 members, less than 8% have posted an answer.
    One or two votes, in a small response sample, can swing a category substantially, and probably does in this case....just add one or two votes to the 40-55 categories, and take them off the 35-40 and 55-60 categories, and see what it does.
    To me, the most interesting, and potentially disturbing trend line here, is that fewer young people are entering the hobby..if you polled all of us 'old timers', to ask whether we were model railroaders at 16-20, 21-25, etc., you'd probably find that we WERE....I think the only way you get a large population of old model railroaders ( in the future) is to get an even larger population of young ones NOW.
    regards / Mike
    Graduate of the Idle-Cleese School of Statistical Manipulation....... ( took a work-related Statistics Course at College Night School back in the early 70's, but it was at the same time that Monty Python's Flying Circus was really popular, so sometimes I confuse the two disciplines.):D :D
  4. RI541

RI541 Member

I'm old enough to know better but I don't

The Wife says I act lika a little kid :) :D :D

The kids say I'm an old decrepit:( :( :(
  5. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

The only statement in this that I would disagree with. I think that you would find that most model rails weren't modelers from 16 or 17 to 25 or so. We were busy doing other things like girls, cars, military service, college, getting new jobs, etc.

Otherwise, that looked pretty good. :)
  6. RI541

RI541 Member

It took us men that long to finaly relize that trains are better than women.:( :( :(
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

I old enough to know better but,to young to resists!:eek: :rolleyes: :D :D
  8. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Ages Come and Ages Go

Well, since we seem to be discussing the "ins and outs" of ages of model railroaders, let me throw in my true story.

I started as a young kid (don't recall just what age) with the Lionel under the Christmas tree bit. That interest grew, and during my high school years, I had a fairly extensive O-27 layout at home. Then I went off to Prep School, where there was a model railroad club; but I never got terribly active with it. Then it was off to college and then into the Air Force for four years. During this time, the interest in railroads was always there, but not very strong. After that, I got involved in running my own businesses, so things stayed dormant for a number of years. Finally, the local Railfair fired me up enough again so I started to get involved. Next thing I knew I was in charge of the Railfair. That moved on to National Director of the Cornell Chapter NRHS and then to Regional Vice President. As for modeling, the Housatonic and Cayuga pretty much exists only in my head right now; but I have lots of rolling stock looking for a place to run. I'll be 65 next month and maybe one of these days I'll actually get started building something.

So, you see, I probably fit the mold of being somewhat "dis-involved" in the middle years; but now I'm back. I definitely agree that we need to get young bolld into the hobby, however.
  9. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Ages in and out....

Got my first train set at 8 and played 'til 13ish...

Got busy with other interests.

All my friends were into FRP's like Dungeons & Dragons.

Didn't get back to Model Railroadin' until about a year and a half ago...

Big gap......

Non of my friends growing up were in to model railroadin'.

I only wish that I had access to forums like this back when I was a kid.

It was like operating in a vaccuum to be a model railroader when there wasn't any one else around to share with.

One of the reasons that I am getting involved with modules is to bring them to work and shows so that I can get new blood interested in the hobby...

I work at a large Metropolitan Public Library. I plan to show some modules for the public and hopefully attract some newbies to the hobby.
  10. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Re: Ages in and out....

What a great idea. That is something that we all could probably do if we would devote a little time and energy to it. (and the wheels start turning again - module, little train display, a weekend here and there at the library, church, hobby shop?)
  11. jdh

jdh Member

if you are looking for a job, i recommend the USAF [i'm a vet].
    best thing i ever did [i went in at 21].
    i had a guarenteed job [computers, mainframes back then] and have seen much of the world.

from that experience [i was in 8 years] i landed a great job [network management] and i have guys with masters degrees working for me [i have a high school diploma].

education is a great thing, and experience even more so.
    you can get both while serving your country.

and remember, the usaf has better food and more airconditioning!
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

This hobby keeps me feeling young . It is said we are only as old as we feel but for those of us that are supposed to be in the "Golden Years" it sometimes requires an effort to feel energetic enough to enjoy my layout
  13. Rusty Stumps

Rusty Stumps Member

I think this poll is showing a true curve in that a lot of modelers have an early interest but, family, jobs, etc. take them away and it's only in later years that they have the time and money to come back to a hobby they really love.

Yes, there are some that are able to maintain there activity most their whole life long but not most and this shows in the early rise, then dip and then it comes back with the greatest number in their 50's to 60's.
  14. This topic is kind of like the weather, ambient air temp in New Orleans is 46 this morning, with a wind chill factor feels like 26, I just made 46 yesterday, with a attitude factor feels like 26.......

Nick Weber
    Bywater Railroad
    New Orleans
  15. billk

billk Active Member

Agree, but I would expect the early peak to be at 20-25 or 25-30, instead at 35-40. Of course, the sample population is kinda small.
  16. Tankertoad70

Tankertoad70 Member

Interesting subject. We have several 60+ members of our local club, and having those gentlemen is great.
    It seems that as we mature, our interests in this fine hobby get refined and we tend to get away from that 'gotta have it all' mentality.:rolleyes:
  17. Mike R

Mike R Member

This thread has been interesting. As I said earlier, I think we've got a future problem with not enough new blood entering the hobby, for all the reasons that we're all too familiar with.
    I still don't believe the 'drop-out' rate theories completely.
    I do know I had no layout from 1959 [16 years old in my parents' house] to 1971 [28 years old in my own second house...I should say the bank's second house ].
    However, all through that 12 years I still considered myself a model railroader, bought and read MT, MR, and RMC when I could find them and afford them...picked up the odd bargain kit to squirrel away for future, experimented a bit with scratchbuilding, looked for model railroad open houses to attend, shows, etc.
    Even with jobs, marriage, starting family, other hobbies, it was still possible to be somewhat involved. I do know others my age with similar experiences.:) :) :)
    Maybe part of it was the state of our environment computers to distract us, no CNN to tell us what was happening everywhere in the world 24/7, no "reality" TV, whatever....maybe it's impossible to imagine anyone converting a rubber-band diesel to gear drive, on their kitchen table, with no layout, not even a snap-track test loop, to try it on ?:cool: :cool: :cool:

regards / Mike
    probable Traingeek in the 60's:D :D
  18. jetrock

jetrock Member

I turn 36 in an hour. Trains keep me "thirty-teen."
  19. emt49

emt49 Member

i am 26 y/o
  20. Why me

Why me Member

well my 11 year boy got me into this hobby father and son thing quailty time im cracking on 47 in feb 2005 so started late i guess better late than never other thing not many forum allow kids on until there 16 years old so lose out on the young because of rules mike