How old are you ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alex_mrrkb, Jan 1, 2003.

1. alex_mrrkb

alex_mrrkb Member

I was chatting on the-gauge the other night and we had a good conversation about age ... it seems most modelers are 40+ , before that age most people seem to not have enough time to spend on the hobby.

So here's the poll: How old are you ?
  2. acshrpe

acshrpe Member

Here are some of my answers to age:D :D

Old enough to know better but too young to resist

I'm like fine wine, the older I get the better I am

Is that answer OK;)
  3. Partsman

Partsman Member

I turned 61 this ... oops ... last month. I am entering my second childhood since I retired, so now I have extra time for the railroad modelling thing, depending on the length of the 'honey do' list. :D
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I edited this post- I'm 44 going on 22 (and other ages at other times :) .

5. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

I'm 21 with 23 years experience ;) :D

Hear Hear!!
  6. Mike R

Mike R Member

Sixty days from now, I will be sixty.

I have been model railroading one way or another for 56 years, so I obviously wasted the first 4 years of my life.

Sometimes, when I make a foolish [ and redundant] modelling mistake....I believe it I may just have just one years' modelling experience, repeated 56 times.

regards / Mike

:D :D :D
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I wish all members would vote on this poll, it's building a real interesting demograhic!! I realize that it only represents modellers who are also forum members, but informative nonetheless.
  8. PennRailRoads

PennRailRoads Member

I like it when people think I'm younger or older.

I'm 23 but I know a few things here and there. My New Years resolution for 2003 is to get a job.
  9. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Ahhh, the wasted years. You can never get them back.:D

I'm 36, with no time, and looking forward (eagerly, I might add) to the days with lots of modelling time.:)
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

LOL! I think we were all that age once, a few years older than our birth cert. says, but you know what? That's called innocence and it's more fun than wisdom. Not many folks wouldn't trade places with you! I respect the modelers in their 20's, schmardt 'nuff to know a good thing, modelin, at a young age.

Now, isn't it nice (for us middle agers) to have a hobby that makes us WANT to get old!?!?!? This is actually one of the things that makes me care about my own health.

Recently there was an editorial reprinted in Model Railroader from 20 or 30 years ago. Said the average modeler was 33 years old. If you add 20 or 30 to that, it lands you right near our peak on the graph.
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I am estimating the average age here (so far) is 46 to 51. I got that figure by adding all the upper numbers in the ranges and dividing by the 55 entries at this point. Then I subtracted 5 to get the lower number. Errors should cancel out and be fairly close.

We also have 2670 years of combined age. If we ave modeling for 20% of our lives, we have over 500 years of experiance in the pool. For one person to have that much experiance, they would have to have started modeling our flat little worlds back when most folks still thought the real world was flat.
  12. cpr_paul

cpr_paul Member

I'm 30. Should I go with 25-30, or 30-35?

I'll take the former - makes my look younger!
  13. clumber

clumber New Member

Where do railroaders go between the ages of 40 and 55?
    It dropsdown between these age gaps!
  14. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

LOL Jon, this means I'm 44!! :D :D :D
  15. absnut

absnut Member

I'm only 39..... but, I will be celebrating the 24th anniversary of my 39th birthday next April! :p

16. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I wonder that too.
    It's maybe just sampling error, if we had more responses we might see the curve smooth out.
    maybe there's a "fatherhood/kids becoming trains age" peak there at 35-40.
    Fascinating:) :)
  17. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I reckon it kind of makes me look like the ol' granpappy. I'm 72 now, but floatin' downhill to 73 in May. I was modeling over 50 years ago, but it was balsa and tissue airplanes then. Real models cost$ .05, and sometimes I saved and got a bigger dime one. Trains were wind up, and only moved forward. I didn't have sense or knowledge about model RRing. Electric ones cost $3.98, so all I got was the 99 cent wind-ups.

Better quit there, too many old memories to crank out here.

18. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

19. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

Where do railroaders go between the ages of 40 and 55?

Along the same lines as cid mentioned, alot of folks between 40 and 55 are busy with teenagers, or paying for college!

K.V.Div....yah...but you OWN the train store! lol
  20. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

They've stopped modeling and are watching their IRAs and 401K programs decline while they worry about being OUT sized while they figure out how to keep making the mortgage payment. :)

Actually, this probably isn't as outrageous as it seems. Although I have been actively modeling since 1982 (this time), here have been numerous times that I didn't really put in the amount of time that I am now. Since I retired (at 63), I have enjoyed working the rails much more than I did 10 years ago. Now, all I have to worry about is how to pay for the imcreasing costs of new equipment. :)

Roger Hensley –
    == ==
    == East Central Indiana HO Scale Railroad ==