how much

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
ok guys i am fixing to sell a rc truck and will most likly have a little over 300 dollars from it and wanted to know how much flex track and turnouts i can get with it and what brand to get thanks zacharyf

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Depends on what you want to do...

There are many manufacturers of turnouts and flex track. Atlas is probably the most common, but Peco makes excellent turnouts, and the Walthers-Shinohara ones look the best in my opinion. MicroEngineering also has great looking track and turnouts.

Then you also have to consider what code - Code 100 is usually less expensive than Code83, but in my opinion, Code 83 looks better. (My personal choice is Walthers-Shinohara turnouts with Atlas flex, in Code 83.)

Prices vary, but your best bet is probably an on-line place for lowest price. Be aware that you will then also pay shipping, and also run the risk of not getting something right because you can't see the stuff in person before you pay.

But first things first - do you have a plan? Nothing is more expensive than something you don't need, no matter how low the price. ;) :D Is there anything else you'd rather have, or also need instead or in addition to track and turnouts?

Andrew

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
no i dont really have one on paper but i have one in my head and i also need cork road bed and the plan i have in my head has sixteen turnouts and turnout motors code 83 but if it is cheaper ill go with 100 but i kinda like the 83 tia zacharyf

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
For manual operation without ground throws, I like the Peco switches best because they have a built in over center spring that shifts the turnout all the way to whichever position You want it set at. Shinohara (Walther's) makes good turnouts, but don''t have the spring, so you will need some sort of control either a switch machine or ground throw to hold the switch points in position. I think the Micro Engineering switches are the best commercial switches bar none, but they are a bit pricey. They also need either a switch machine or ground throw like the Shinohara. Personally I don't like Atlas switches at all either Snap Switches or Custom Line. I don't think they are very well engineered or well made. About the only positive thing I can say about them is they are cheap. In terms of flex track, I haven't seen a lot of difference from one manufacturer to another. Micro Engineering maybe has a finer detail on their ties strips and spike detail.