How much would you estimate this collection to be worth?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by zaroba, Apr 24, 2006.

1. zaroba

zaroba New Member

hello all, i don't know if this is the right place for this topic, so if it isen't sorry for the error.

but anyway, i have a huge ho scale collection. it started when my grandfather passed away 15 years ago and i got his trains. then i added to it myself with not so commen cars found at flea markets etc.

main problem is, i haven't had space for any of it since starting it so its mostly just sat in boxes in the house or shed. i probably wont have space to set it up for a long while yet. i desperatly need money so i've decided to sell the whole collection.

now...the only question i have is, how much is it all worth?
    what does everybody out thier think its all worth?

i hope to soon put it on e-bay.

the whole collection consists of:
    Over 330 track pieces:
    streight - 9" - 114
    turn - 15" r - 14
    turn - 18" r - 136
    turn - 22" r - 27
    powered turn offs - 10
    unpowered turn offs - 3
    power pieces - 13
    about 2 dozen 1"-3" turns and streight pieces

over 160 pieces of rolling stock:
    12 passenger cars
    5 articulated container cars
    9 articulated trailor cars
    4 Animal carrying box cars
    27 box cars
    2 exploding dynamite box cars
    2 covered hoppers
    12 cabooses
    2 car carriers
    6 tank cars
    15 hoppers (some covered, mostly open)
    12 flat bed cars (3 carrying stuff)
    1 250-ton crane
    1 animated snowplow
    51 cars that need miner repairs (most just need trucks)
    2 trolleys

27 Engines:
    1 DD40AX (barly run at all, still in its origional box)
    1 4-8-4 that puffs smoke + tender (barly run at all, still in its origional box)
    1 Alco super 630 (barly run at all, still in its origional box)
    1 GE Dash 8-40CW (barly run at all, still in its origional box)
    1 EMD SD45 (barly run at all, still in its origional box)
    1 0-3-0 + tender
    5 pushers
    1 motorized passenger car
    bunch of others

Misc Stuff:
    1 motorized track driving school bus
    1 power pack
    a few containers of misc pieces and parts (wheels, trucks, couplers, track connecting pins)
    bunch of trees
    few buildings

'name brand' cars include:
    V8 Juice, Green Giant, Eggo, tootsie roll, miller beer, Michaels arts & Crafts, Doritos, Chiquita Banna, Star Kist Tuna, Jell-O, Champion Spark Plugs, Heinz Pickles, Baby Ruth candy bars, Haagen-Dazs ice cream, Coca Cola, Texaco, Hershy's chocolate, Wesson vegetable oil, Nabisco, Kellogs cereal

2. ekiqa

ekiqa New Member

The cars, not much, a buck or two each, mebe more? Some, like the crane, a bit more than that.

The locomotives, well it depends on the manufacturers. Most of the boxless ones look toy-ish, of much older prodection. Three boxes look like Bachmann, those would be worth more. The 4-8-4, depends the maker.
  3. zaroba

zaroba New Member

the black box ones are spectrum.
    the 4-8-4 is a bachman.

yea, many of the cars are quite old
    i guess you could say they have a nice 'weathered' look due to thier age :p
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I need flat cars to make log cars from and I might be interested in that steamer in the box if you are wanting to sell.
  5. ed acosta

ed acosta Member

Train Collection

Having looked at your photographs, it looks like quite a mix. Some train enthusiasts may be interested in your locos and may be willing to pay top dollar, and some 'collectors' might just offer a flat fee for all of your 'toy' stuff. There may be some freight cars that are worth a few bucks, but it all depends on the condition of the cars. Are there any parts missing? Are any of the corner steps broken off? Perhaps you could ask for a flat fee for all of your track. If it is brass 'snap-track' it might not be worth much.

I love to go to swap meets and oftens see assortments like these. If there is one in your neighborhood you might just want to look and see how much people are willing to pay for cars like yours.

Okay, here is another approach: take them to an antique store and sell them on consignment. I would never think of going there to buy trains because they price their stuff so high. I have seen asking prices between $15 and $25 for a Tyco freight car that might only bring $2 at a model train swap meet. So, even if you have to pay 20 percent commission you stand a chance at making the big bucks and you don't even have to stick around and answer questions! Beats the socks off of E-Bay.

Good luck,
  6. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

if you are going to sell it, I would do the ebay thing and list things in groups and keep a low reserve on the locomotives.
    the spectrums sell on ebay depending on everything from 25 to 40 bucks us dollars.
    you would have a good chance of selling there, other way might be a local train club show
    all depends on how much you want
    might even list it here in detail to see what prices you could get
  7. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

the dd40 from spectrum is very good seller on ebay they seem to go higher then athearn dd40s
  8. petey

petey Member

I see none of this as high dollar. So, if you bought it new, you can expect a low return on your expenditures.
    eBay would give you the highest return, because you would be essentially selling individually, even when grouping them in your auctions. However, it will take time and effort, and some expense on your part.
    You might want to check eBay for those larger sellers who would be interested in buying the whole collection. You can also find these people advertising in the model train mags. This gives you the lowest return, but it's all gone at once, and won't cost you to sell it.
  9. zaroba

zaroba New Member

hi, back again. and first, let me appologize for kicking this old topic :p

anyway, it diden't sell as a whole lot, so i'm starting to list everything individually.
    currently thier is a bunch of bachmann spectrum engines and other rolling stock on e-bay.

next week i'll be putting a bunch of cabooses, pushers, and some probably vintage Athern commuter cars up for auction. i think the commuter cars are vintage anyway, some are motorized (via an engine in the middle turning a rod that spins the wheels via rubberband) and they have metal chassis. can't find any info on them online
  10. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

the rubber band power cars are not commutter cars they are RDC, the rubber band cars area bit older.
  11. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

$160 maybe a little more.
  12. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

I was at a train show on the weekend, one fellow had a whole table of, as he labeled it, "PreOwned Collector Pieces". The rolling stock was labeled at $1.00 CDN each. There were several deisels similar to yours labeled at $10.00 each. While I was standing talking to a friend near the table, the seller sold 5 of the deisels to a fellow for $25.00 and 7 cars for $5.00.

I walked around near the end of the day and found that most of the locos and rolling srock were gone, but his big box of track looked untouched.
  13. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

go back and check your messages on ths collection i suggested then you break it up into lots and sell that way. might be a bit more work but well worth the effort.
    if not let me know what you want for the spectrum locomotives we might worka deal
  14. zachary

zachary Member

i would like the dd40ax how much for it thanks zacharyf
  15. I'll take the DD40 for $40.00!
  16. nachoman

nachoman Guest

this post got ressurected after almost a year since its first posting. I am sure the stuff is already sold!

17. zaroba

zaroba New Member

the dd40 sold on ebay a few weeks after the first post.