How many of you are ex-service?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by GT5500, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

15 years British Army, 5 as a Grunt Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (3rd Battalion) 10 as a Pet Op Royal Army Ordanance Corp.

New to this card thing and learning I hope quickly.
  2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Oooh a home boy, welcome to the forum mate, we seem to be getting a few of us on here now.
  3. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Thanks for that, discovered card modelling and this forum all inthe same week. Lucky me eh?

Guess we need more Brits to come out of the woodwork as well eh?

Till later
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

We're a bit thin on the ground aren't we! I don't think many scale modellers in this country know about card models.
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I'm rather late coming into this usual. LOL

Although I never served, I worked on the C-17 Globemaster III (USAF) program for 17 years, and now work on V-22 Osprey and UH-1/AH-1 for all the US branches.

And fortunately, our two boys are now both happily enlisted in the USAF.

For these reasons, I have a certain fondness for the Air Force.

I agree with GT5500 that card modelling is a tiny, but growing hobby in the US. In the last decade, I think the trend for kids and adults is moving from physical (card and plastic) modelling to 3D / CAD on the computer. Both take patience, but physical modelling builds the motor skills better in kids, in my opinion.

Steve Austin
  6. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

I was in the USAF from 1976-1995, retired as a result of cutbacks and early retirement offered. I was stationed at Minot AFB, North Dakota for 17-1/2 years (cruel joke- born and raised in San Diego, California!). Seriously though, learned to love the changing seasons and small towns. I was stationed at Comiso AS, Sicily for 6 months just prior to Desert Storm in support of the Ground-Launched Cruise Missile program. The first models I designed were the vehicles we used.

Best to all the veterans! (and supporters too!)
    Ron Caudillo
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I never served but I have made weapons of war at Sikorsky Aircraft (9 years) and Perkin Elmer Corporation and other various military industrial complex type jobs. I got my spinal cord injury at a military war plant. A lot of people in my family (immediate and otherwise) served and are serving. I guess it is that six degrees of separation thing. I support our military. It is the most conscientious. It is the best in the world, period.
  8. Grizz

Grizz Member

I served in the Royal Australian Navy for eight years. A fantastic life for the single man but not so good for the family. My googling for FFG models led me into paper modelling.

9. ejgray52

ejgray52 New Member

can't stay away

Well, a couple of weeks before Christmas I went to the RAF College Cranwell to do my Initial Officer Training. Not as a regular, but in the reserve (RAFVR(T)) However, we graduated from College Hall, the same as the regulars and I have stood on the famous carpet in the Rotunda... I am involved with a Combined Cadet Force (CCF) at a local school and it is one of the requirements. As the family say, not bad promotion... Corporal to Pilot Officer in 27 years! - but at least I have a uniform to hang that medal on now.......
    A pearl of wisdom from the course....

"The Army claim the RAF do not have traditions - they haven't been going long enough... They have habits..."
  10. dkaniel

dkaniel Member

Served 4 yrs in USAF 1979-1983 and then 18 years as a weekend warrior in the California Air National Guard. I can't really say that I am modelling anything I worked on in the military because I was a Radio Technician. The closet thing I ever came to anything that could fly was the TITAN II ICBM when active duty. Thank god that never was launched in anger. Papermodeling is just great way to build some challenging and satisfying models.
  11. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Does almost serving count? I volunteered for the US Navy back in 1993, but due to asthma, got turned down. The reason: "we don't want you to have an attack on the ship and not be able to get to a hospital". I thought the ships took a hospital with them (sickbay, I know)?
  12. BARX2

BARX2 Member

20 years in the US Navy. I flew in EA-3B and EP-3B/C aircraft, mostly in WestPac. I retired in '93. I mostly enjoy building WWII aircraft.
  13. Joseph

Joseph Member

One year, in 1989-90 ...just in time for victory in the cold war,

"Air Delivery Regiment"
  14. bobgoodier

bobgoodier New Member

Served 17and a half years in the RAF in Electronics Trade and traveled the world wih them. Spent four years with 'Gemini' pair areobatic team. On leaving RAF started an Air Training Corps Squardron (Air Cadets) in Ripon North Yorkshire, and carried on in the RAFVR(T) for a further 23 years. Now retired from it all

regards Bob Goodier
  15. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

I volunteered and started as Sig with 126 Sqn of 1 Cdo Regt and later moved to 2 Coy still under the same Regt. Left after my enlistment came up. Currently a life member of RAAC Tank Museum Society. Been modelling as a kid but now moving to card because of the exorbitant prices demanded of the plastic kits.

16. papertrain

papertrain Member

i served 4 years in the air force (us) 2 years in north africa ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the closest i got to military planes was that i saw them taking off,,,,,,,i worked on staff cars to keep them running,,,,,,,,,,,,guess that is why i like trains:-D
  17. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I intitially "raised my hand" to the Texas National Guard one week to the day after my 17th birthday as a "Aircraft Weapons System Mechanic" (ammo humper on Cobra Helicopters). After high school, I went Regular Army and spent about 10 years as an MP (thus the screen name). I got out about 2 years after Desert Storm.

I've got a plastic model started, and put on the back burner, of my Hummer from Desert Storm, but my paper models, the couple I have actually completed, tend to be SciFi....
  18. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

77-78 Cav Scout Ft. Knox, KY
    78-78 Airbrone Ft. Benning, Ga
    78-79 Airborne Ft Lewis
    79-81 Inf Hawaii
    81-82 PMEL School Denver, CO (TMDE ARMY version)
    82-83 Inf Alaska
    84-85 WORWAC Ft Rucker, AL
    85-90 Ak Nat Guard Helicopter Pilot (HUEY)
  19. Darwin

Darwin Member

If it works for Rick, it should for me too....I was a civilian in Admiral Rickover's nuclear navy for about 10 years. It never occurred to me at the time, but it was one of the most fun jobs I ever had.
  20. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

I was in the Navy for 8 years. The first four years were spent in aviation. I was an NFO in EA-6B's. The last four years I spent in nuclear powered submarines. I served as Electrical and Communications Officer aboard the USS Dallas (SSN700).