How many of you are ex-service?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by GT5500, Jun 27, 2006.

1. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I am intruiged as to how many of you fellow modellers are ex service, I can't help but notice the amount of you that have served in the forces. I just find it interesting that you are now making models of things you served in or around.
  2. angevine

angevine Member

I am ex Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) and now work for the MOD so I still surrounded by some great kit to get ideas and reference from :-D
  3. cygielski

cygielski Member

Not necessarily - my primary interest is in aviation of the inter-war period and WWII, and I served in the Navy. Though I admit having urges to build a battleship now and again.
  4. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

I haven't modeled much that I worked on, but I'd like to, if somebody will make me an EA-6B in Marine colors, a P-3 in VP-65 livery, or some Firebee and Chukar drones... For that matter, I'd love to model my old workbenches, but haven't got a clue where to find images of the Receiver Test Bench, Module Test Station, or the ASW shop...
  5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada (Mech Infantry-Reserve) during the 1980s.

Attached Files:

6. popala

popala Member

USAF - but come to think of it I never built an F-15E or F-16.
    Maybe when they are both retired I will develop the longing for the good ol' days :)
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

US Navy 25 years, as an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic--designed the A-7 offered by FG in my last unit's colors. Also did the A-4, to commemorate my time with the Blue Angels. Currently volunteer at the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Also worked with the Phantom, Buckeye, Orion and Cougar. Lots of time spent on the flight decks of a half dozen carriers, from Essex to Nimitz classes.
  8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I wasn't so much interested in wheteher you build models of things you worked on just that its interesting how many of you have millitary backgrounds.
  9. Teamds

Teamds Member

C 2/64 Armor (M60A1's), 163 Avn - 101st AASLT (UH-1H's) late 70's thru 80's.
  10. 46rob

46rob Member

GT--OK brevity--USN

Ya happy now?
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

USAF...22 years, 2 months, 2 days at various assignments, doing various jobs.

P.S. Loved every minute of it too
  12. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I am a USAF veteran, 1982-86 (though I was born in England, grew up in Australia during my youth before my family came here to the US). Always loved planes... especially military! Tanks and ships are neat too. I think it's natural that people with any type of affinity for military stuff would also enjoy modeling that type of stuff.

John Griffin
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hey GT,

does working as a civilian contractor with the Armed Forces count?

if it does.

I worked with the USMC out in 29 Palms, California, was assigned to the Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs group, but we did a lot for for the units on board the base.
    One of my favorite unit was the 3rd LAR, "Wolfpack"
    these guys ran LAV-25s, I love those vehicles, i have both the Fly Model kits, Nobi's kit, and Paper Tiger Armament's version.

14. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

U.S. Army 1984-1992
    Armor and Aviation (Rotary Wing)
  15. hpept

hpept Member

I'm an ex Aeronautica Militare Italiana. Served during 1997-98 in the Security Bureau of the 46^ Aerobrigata in Pisa. Loved to see Lockheed C-130 and Alenia G-222 taking off and landing, as my office was right in front of the runway at 50 meters away from the gate guardian, an old Fairchild C-119 Flying Wagon.
  16. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yes of course it does, to me this is very interesting I can see the logic behind it but its still fanscinating. I am also into RC cars but I don't find that many RC car fanatics are ex racing drivers or car mechanics. I understand this is a bit of a pointless post but I just wanted to fulfill my curiosity.
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I am also considered by some of my friends to be a walking helicopter encyclopedia, also helps that the American Helicopter Museum is a scant 25 miles from me

18. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Was Camp Darby still in operation while you were in the Pisa area? I went there several times while stationed at Aviano.

I wouldn't call this a pointless thread. It is good to find out about the folks we share this hobby with. And anybody who has been around this site for a while, knew I was former military. I got "war stories" a mile deep and love passing them on. 8v)

Rick and Rick...rotor heads, eh? 8v)

19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

yeah scary concept eh Ash?
  20. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yeah I have found it interesting to find out about some of you, unfortunately I have no such was stories to tell. I think it is my love of aircraft and the life long ambition to one day be a pilot that has got me into models, although I am starting to wish I had joined the RAF now as the dream of being a pilot is seeming more like a dream as time goes by.