How many of us are rated pilots?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Willja67, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I know from various posts that quite a few of us are pilots and thought I'd ask. I am a private pilot working on my instrument rating with the end goal of becoming an airline pilot.
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I'm a wannabe. Got some bootleg sticktime in on the T-33 and the 104 when I was in the airforce though. And I crash regularly on my PC...<g>
  3. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Private Pilot Single Engine Land. Got my ticket 8/13/01. No medical at the present due to Diabetes, but the Sport Pilot looks real good [let medical lapse, not revoked] Had five years that I never thought I would have!
    Fred Z.
  4. bobgoodier

bobgoodier New Member

Slave to all pilot, I am engineering groundcrew

Employed now as a Flight Line Operations Controller,

Spent four years flying in the 70s with 'Gemini Aerobatic Team' at RAF Leemimg in the UK

Bob g
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Although i've always loved aviation since i can remember, studied and graduated in Aerospace Engineering, i never had the desire to fly myself. I like to fly as a passenger and enjoy the flights when i need to travel, but never really thought of becoming a pilot. I know various pilots (airplane and helicopter) and a couple of them also offered to let me pilot the aircraft once in flight, but up to now i didn't get the chance. I've spent many hours on flight simulators and i know how to deal with an airplane, but that's only in theory. And supposedly theory will be the only thing i know about piloting a plane, but never say never...
  6. barry

barry Active Member

nearest I got was building flight simulators back in the sixties for most of the airlines only 3 axis motion systems then and a 32k computer and machine code. Amazing what you can do without Microsoft and a high level language in the way. Good fun though
  7. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Flying for over 50 years, but just SEL, although have time in everything from flying boats to jets (USN flight training, washed out in CQ), most recently in gliders.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Once again, a poll where my answer isn't listed 8v) Oh well...hehehe

Twenty years or so ago, I was a sailplane pilot. Was working for a "real" license when I was transferred. My new assignment was Thule AB, Aero Club there. A year later, I was once again assigned to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, and although there was the ability to continue my quest there, my job too often interfered. I never got the opportunity to continue the training uninterupted.

But, I too got a some stick time in various military jets (real ones at that) and for a while was addicted to flight sims (met Rick Steffers on #fscombat on IRC years ago). These days, my reactions are too slow to combat sim and straight line flying from point A to point B is boring. And sailplanes aren't well represented in flight sims. They are there, but they just don't "feel" right to me.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<my reactions are too slow to combat sim>

Welcome to my world, I can still hold my own against the AI, but live opponents eat me up. There is a sailplane club about 10 minutes walk from where I live, I often watch them, and think of actually joining, but I doubt that my eyes would make it through the flight medical.
  10. Kaz

Kaz Member

It was (one of the Grobs) in Flight Unlimited but Microsoft brought out Windows XP (ignoring 2000 and ME, or were they the same?) and it doesn't work anymore :-(
    I had one days flying in a Sailplane, One towed take off and three catapults, one of which was an aborted one due to the wire snapping, scary at the time, but fun in retrospect!
    I wish I had the courage to join the forces. Respect to those who are.
  11. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Only in my dreams...and I don't use an airplane...
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Ever considered lasik? I had it done about four months ago. I was about 20/40 and had an astigmatism, now I'm about 20/15 and everything is so sharp and clear that even 4 months later now that I've gotten used to it I'm still amazed.
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I've thought of it, but my problem is more depth perception than anything else, ah well, I can still give the Red Baron a hard time on my pc...
  14. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

I fly the Microsoft flight sim and have managed to earn my private pilot's certificate. Has my name on it and everything. Heehee! I did get to "fly" one of the 727 simulators at FedEx once and actually landed the thing in one piece(the instructor worked the throttles and flaps, etc.). That was great fun!!!
  15. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Private Pilot with a tailwheel endorsement (Read REAL pilot - J/K :wink:). I'm .3 hrs away from finally hitting 200 hrs and had the privilege of taking a Taylorcraft L-2M to an airshow at Lackland AFB today!
    Here she is:
    Picture from our website at

16. the only flying i ever done ( if you can call it flying) is microsoft flight simulator :( thats hard to do with a game pad so i take off and fly long haul routes mostly trans atlantic on auto pilot :p take off are easy fly always auto pilot now if i can only get the dang plane on the groung with out coming in to fast or crashing into the sea,,, mountains,,, buildings,, etc( good thing there isnt black boxes on the sims:p my hats off the our brave fighter jocks !!! i could never do that:)
  17. Good morning friends,

I've got my PPL-A in 1984 (VFR single [piston] engine, MPW 2000 kg)
    More than 900 hours in the air since then, more than 2,000 landings.
    Additional ratings:
    • twin engine in 1986 (Cessna 303 - 421)
    • VFR-night 1986
    • CVFR 1988
    Homebase: EDML

As I canot afford an own aircraft, I have to charter . . .
    My most preferred aircraft are: Cessna 177 RG,
    Cessna 182 Skylane, Bechcraft BE 34 Bonanza,
    Cessna 310 G and Cessna 421 . . .

My aviation activities are presently reduced to a minimun
    to keep the licences active . . .

Have a nice weekend
  18. mikew

mikew Member

I'm currently an Active Duty USAF pilot, flying the EC-130H Compass Call. I also have a private (single engine land) and commercial (multi-engine) license, though I haven't done any non-military flying in several years.

Mike W
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Glider A + B, RAF Locking, in a T31, sheesh, 31 years ago..... I'd love to follow it up, but time, kids, money etc, etc. Same old, lame old excuses! Still, motorcycling keeps the adrenalin flowing!

Tim P
  20. 46rob

46rob Member

A & P rating--never had an urge to be a pilot, although I got plenty of stick time flying backseat in Cougars as a youg squid.