How many models do you purchase a year?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, May 27, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think my average over the last 2 years is about 10 models per week.

2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, my first year of buying models just went up by two. I now have the FG Bombers CD, and I added their Huey and Cobra models. So I guess that means 16

I worked on, flew in, and even got some gun time in both of those aircraft in the US Army. I found a couple of "free" models, opened 'em up and saw who they really belonged to. So, I had to head over to FG and buy them so I could keep them.
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I am currently at 3 this year (my first year back into the hobby in a while). I am budgeting my model expenditures, so various tools I've bought here and there have been taking up much of that budget.
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Too many! Since I tend to go overboard when I get involved in a hobby, I usually end up with enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes....

5. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

sign1I'm up to 3 a month!!!!
  6. Javito10

Javito10 New Member

I haven't bought any model. I'm new on this, and in my country I don't know any place that sell paper models. There's just plastic, wood and metal models for sales and they are really expensive, and I don't have an international credit card to buy by internet. So I just look in the net for free downloads. I supose that the paper and print it's not the same quality but the only two I made looks good to me.
  7. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I purchase around 8 to10 commercial models per year, and build at most two per year. I am building the Halinski T34-76 at this time it has around 8000 parts that’s why I only do a couple per year. My “I’ll never build these in this life time” collection is about 75 to 85 models, the oldest was purchased in 1969.

Collecting them is as fun as building them.

Jim Nunn
  8. oompiet

oompiet New Member

I have not counted in a long time.but looking at my freebie downloads
    I must have a stack of at least six inches high.Yamaha motorcycles take abuot 40 pages .and i have just dowmloaded Canons engine and tender.which runs into about another 30 odd pages and it really builds up.
    plus I usaly download two copies of each in case of screwups. Have not purchased any commercial models as yet.but it is sure costing me in materials
  9. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I bought about 8 when Lighthouse went under, about 4 from Dewayne and 1 from somebody else. So, around 13 in the last year. I've downloaded almost 4 gigs of free ones in the last year. So, I probably already have more than I can ever build.
    Once I graduate next August and get a teaching job, my purchases will probably go up.
  10. tikitiki_m

tikitiki_m Member

I am buying 10-30 kits in a year, But am very busy now, so I don't know when I touch them.
  11. Erik J

Erik J Member

I made a vow years ago not to buy any more card models until I built the ones I had sitting on the shelf.... haven't bought one since 1978...
    (just kidding)

Actually, I would say about every other month something catches my eye and I am too weak to resist, even if it is highly unlikely I ever will build it. The Modelik SCUD is a prime example. I thought it would be 'cute', and then that monster package arrived one day.

I am sure we all have one of those 'special' kits.

Say, how about another query to see which kit we have, and will never build, and why not? Kind of hard to narrow it down to one, isn't it?

- Erik
  12. CIVIC

CIVIC Member

5 For me havent built them yet. building freebees and designing my own.
  13. theanalogkid

theanalogkid Member

Why buy when there are so many free downloads out there? I am new to the hobby, having a plastic builder for over 20yrs. Therefore everything that is free, is new and fresh to me. I got interested partly because of the price. The only 1/96 scale Saturn V you can get in plastic is the 40yo Rev/Monogram kit and it's horribly outdated. You can buy update parts for it and new decals. A quick cost summary: Model(ebay) $130 posted, upgrades and decals $50. Convert that to Australian dollars, you do the math. Card model pattern, nothing, card and some ink. WHY would I buy?
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

It all depends on your subject of choice and what is available for download. While the air and space models (and to some extent race cars and tanks) seem readily available for free, detailed aviation and ship models are not quite so much. Personally I'm working on a simple plan of building up 1/33 scale models of the typical WW2 fighter planes. The only free kit I've managed to come across that fits this category is a Soviet I-16. There are some of the planes available in smaller scales, but to get the detailed kits I want purchasing them is my only option.
    And at that, I got back into paper modeling in May and with 3 new models on their way this week, I've bought 8 pre-printed kits and 1 digital kits this year - so I'd say 15-20 a year if I keep my interest up ;)