How many models do you purchase a year?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, May 27, 2007.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

You are a special case.<G> I'm not sure that that really compares with us individual consumers....
    How many of them are for personal use?
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I think I have about 30 'in stock', including several CDs from Dr Zarkov, Digital Navy and Gremir. I haven't cut up any of the printed ones yet, generally because the quality of the printing is not so hot as I can achieve on my Canon 4300, so maybe I will scan and reprint them one day. Then I can sort out my usual niggle that the lettering fonts are not correct! But, like maps, they are just the coolist things to look at!

Euoooo. Does that make me a collector? Then I apologise to all of you, without reservation.....

3. WAK

WAK Member

I think less than 10.
    Now I don't have time to make models from other firms :/
    Last models finished by me (and not from WAK) was unscaled (ca. 1:25) figures of Indians for my doughters.
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I purchase around 10-20 models a year to help support the designers. Like Rob, I do enjoy seeing the different design solutions used. Unfortunately, I only build a few models a year.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I get @ 20-30 a year to keep up with the "new" releases. At 1st I bought @100 or so in support of Carl's reasoning. I bought up kits that have become obsolete or out of print. I usually let most go at times after carefully weeding out "doubles" or "inferior" redundant kits. I had almost every Bf/Me 109 kit available but whittled them down to a few of the best versions. Sometimes I think of it as collecting and sometimes as support for designers. I usually get most of the electronic for sale releases, as subjects to build and for support!
  6. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

very rarely do i build something from someone else (except from our contributors). last one was free, years ago. i can't build everything we design as it! thank you to those who do buy!
  7. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

I kinda understand what you're saying.....BUT!..... do consider that paper is one of, if not the oldest, medium for constructing replicas. Continual purchasing, like you do, ensures paper/card modeling's future. So bravo for your stance against extinction by supporting the kit makers. Keep the publishers in buisness, kids!
    Semi-rant to follow: drop out at this point if you'd like!!
    Sharing/copying kits is nice, but only to a point. Copying an out of print kit? Copy a kit for spares in case of a foul-up? Sure. Maybe to even promote the hobby by copying a kit for a friend that would never, ever consider buying one on their own is cool, IMO. I'd rather drop another $6.95 for an extra JSC Edmund Fitzgerald kit that my brother wanted after he heard I was going to buy one for myself. And I could've easily scanned one for him. Legalities aside, if you really love the hobby you should do what's right on behalf of the kit makers- a concept that is sort of lost on the "free download/copy anything" younger generation- to make a crass but true generalization/observation. It's purely up to the next generation to do the right thing and pay for what they get. Many things, music among them, depend on the honesty and integrity of the public it caters to. All too many Americans want everything handed to them for nothing- this from an American who can admit it. Don't think so? Used to be the American dream was to work to have everything you'd need for you and your family, no limitation to the possibilities if you'd work toward your goals.
    The American dream seems to revolve around winning a multi-million dollar lottery anymore or some other lazy half-assed ideal- have everything, earn nothing.
    One last thought- to proclaim to someone who never heard of card modeling , "that model is made completely out of paper" is so unique an experience, that I can't imagine that interest in the medium would ever dry up per your predictions of the future for our beloved hobby..

Rant out- enjoy yer weekend!
  8. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Here's a corrollary question for those who buy some / all of your models. Do you spend more money on actual models or on tools - blades and coloring materials, etc.?
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I buy 1 or 2 a year on average.

About those military games from the 1970's. I have some of the old Simulations Publications, Inc. games. I now wish I would have bought more. They were a lot of fun to play.
  10. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I don't buy any models, I make a list of the new models that I want, top of the list is the one I want the most and usually 1 or 2 of them turn up under the christmas tree or next to that bonfire they keep telling me is a birthday cake. About the most I can afford in way of support for a designer is usually just a "thank you" note. The guys that are making these models for free and that crazy woman that married me and buys me models are my heros.
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Yes - it's Dan ;)

Getting back into the hobby, I'm realizing to do good models, I'm going to need to buy a new healing mat (stupid cyano smudges and paint messing up cuts, and yes on both sides), paints of some sort, bought a 100 blades for the xacto because I'm going through too many - and that's just so far. I'm considering a circle cutter and punch as well. Now - all that for 1 model I already own and looking to buy 2 more. And that's not getting into the cost of paper and ink for those who print models - sheesh.
  12. cbg

cbg Member

tools? what tools?

I thought all you needed for this hobby was a good pair of scissors and some glue. But then I saw the light. . .

Fortunately, I all ready had most of the items listed previously in this thread at my disposal (I'm a graphic designer by trade). Most tools and such are leftovers from my college days, but sure come in handy for this hobby. BTW, does anyone besides me make use of a light table or light box?

When Lighthouse Model Art went out of business a year ago, followed by SPI's fire sale, I went on a buying binge to the tune of thirty-odd models. . .haven't bought one since until this month (just one).

And I'm still struggling to complete my frigging Douglas M-2. . .

13. MadProfessor

MadProfessor New Member

ive not buyed in Latvia i dont know where to buy...i made them myself
  14. sergiotang95

sergiotang95 Member

Support the publishers and designers!
  15. sergiotang95

sergiotang95 Member

I bought around ten so far:cry: :cry: . I buy mostly ships, so it takes me along time to finish them. I plan to buy more to keep this great hobby alive.:-D Mad Professor you can buy at or some other site.:wink:
  16. shrike

shrike Guest

Can I revise my answer? I need to bump it up to the 21-30 bracket at least. Maybe the 31-40 after all, the year is only half over
  17. badgerys

badgerys Member

Last year I have bought 16 models.This ywear so far it has been only three .However this year the Pirling Brothers have been showering with 5 models so far.I do like my trains and particularily continental trains.They are the ones I grew up with and can't be found in the land of OZ at all.
    My thanks go to Albrecht and Adolf Pirling to make those wonderful models available to those of us who appreciate german trains.
    I certainly enjoy building Albrechts great designs and build as fast as I can to be ready for the next one.
    Kind regards from Down Under
  18. Pace

Pace New Member

I build almost nothing but downloaded models, as many freebies as I can find. When I buy preprinted models I don't know what I'm getting until it's too late. A lot of them are too difficult and I've wasted my $$$$$.

I spent a lot on ink, paper and electricity!
  19. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I'm at about 35 BOUGHT this year, tools I have had for awhile, but I bought a circle cutter and regularly buy blades, I am currently looking for a complete set of hole punches. Supplies such as paper and carbon fiber, glue etc. maybe around 1-200 dollars for the past 2.5 years. . .
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Last year alone ... 16 I think. I was pretty picky and still got great deals. I'm hoping to get at least a couple built before buying more. I havent touched the ones from the previous year.

LOL They're going to pile up.