How many models do you purchase a year?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, May 27, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

As in the title - thats buy, not download - no way we can count freebies :D Try to average it out. I will go first. I think I purchased maybe 15 my first year (havent been doing this very long!) Build maybe 3 of them ;)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I care because I am doing a repaint for Marek and if I like it I hope to do more. I know the chances are slim of one of my repaints (especially the first) getting purchased but I like to know how many people buy vs just doing free downloads :) hence the big goose egg showing up top in the first option.

p.s. I miss the days when I had buds that I could sit down with and play those military board games for hours on end....
  3. josve

josve Active Member

Someone collect stamps,coins,barbiedolls......My friend Russel got me into collecting cardmodels......say no more :)
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Uh, oh... same mind set. keep buying everything that one day I might to want to build :roll:
  5. shrike

shrike Guest

So....Anyone wanna trade a bunch of kits for AH's Rise and Decline of the Third Reich? No lost counters er nuthin......
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

6-10 if you don't count my FG magic keys.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I refuse to answer this question just in case my wife looks at the site:oops:
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Interesting question. But I doubt if you'll find any consisitency. This year so far, I'm in the 30-40 range already. But I've only recently gotten back into the hobby and I put this spree up to the glee and excitement of the selection I've found available. I may be unique, but my paper modeling comes and goes in spurts; very active to completely inactive. The internet has definitely done much to rekindle the flame, though.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Not looking for consistency - I gave up on that with card modeling folks a looooong time ago (well a long time in terms of my card model experience) ;) I am just looking for a vague notion. :D
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Um, I guess 14, since I bought the Bombers Cd-electronic (14 Models) from FG
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I had a good laugh out of that one!:-D
    My wife already knows I have a problem, but she likes it because it keeps me at home and out of the bars!:-D
    I keep it hidden how much I actually spend on this hobby. Survival instinct kicks in where that is concerned.

Well, everyone already saw what Johnny said, also!
    I am contagious, so watch out!
    I am spreading cardmodel fever!:twisted:

I have not counted my collection but I know I have spent a couple or few thousand already and I spend between 100 and 200 a month on models.I currently own 4 stacks of printed models about 3 foot high, each.

I definitely side with Carl's opinion!
    Although, I could never build all the models I have, I cannot help but to buy more of them! Got to get what I like, before it is gone!:twisted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about category three, digital models.
    Ask any one of the major sellers, and they will all tell you that, I may not own all they have but I own a good portion of them.8)

12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think my wife would rather I spend the money on her, so I do keep a lot of the expenses hidden!
    Survival instinct, again! :twisted:
    She likes that it keeps me out of trouble but she thinks I spend too much money on it.
    If she only knew!:roll:

13. WAK

WAK Member

In 2006 I bought ca.16500 paper models :D
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

GB, You are one lucky man! You have got yourself a keeper there!8):grin:

15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

For me, I haven't spent a penny on models yet (not counting print cost)... Only free downloads ^_^
  16. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Sad to say I'm straight FG. Most of the other publishers are way outside my skill & price range.

Also, since I designed a good chunk of FG's model line last year, I guess I'm at 0 for models purchased so far.

I'm lazy (or is that crazy?). I've found if I want a model, I just design it myself, then sell it to Chip.
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, I can say one thing that's for sure, I am definitely helping out the world economy not to mention the model publishers!:twisted:
    Murphy might be on to something here. He has models he likes and money coming in, hmmmm.:roll: 8)

18. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Carl, I think you are worrying way too much! :) Think of it this way:

Those military board games didn't "peter out" at all, they just changed media when more suitable technology became available. As pc-based war sims, their popularity has soared far beyond the original numbers of enthusiasts.

I'm betting a similar arrival of technology, the cheap consumer inkjet, is transforming card modeling in the same way. If that's true, rather than peter out, this hobby may well be at the beginning of a major renassiance. :)
  19. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Why buy steak when the whole Cow is free? (right Nezard?).
    Okay, to be fair, publishers make fine models, but I dont think I could build too many of them. I bought several hundred my first year...WHO CARES?

Besides, you don't become popular here by collecting them or talking about them.
  20. 46rob

46rob Member

I don't count my FG lifetime magic keys in the amount's more like a subscription. I buy models mainly to see how other people get their results, as I can incorporat thier techniques into my work--the same way an art student would study other painters or sculptors' work. I also buy models because I want to see the hobby gropw, and if designers don't have a fiscal incentive to design, variety suffers.

I'm also a bit like Murphy, in that I design those things that interest me. I offer them to FG or market them through other venues...depending on various factors.....FG has a pretty strict set of guidlines and standards for their models, and not all things will readily meet those criteria....although things are a changin' out there in Az.