How many have you made....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Aug 24, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hello everyone! How many card models have you made and how many do you keep around the house or work? I understand for most this will be a ballpark figure heh heh :D

I will go first of course ;)

Numbers made
    Yamaha animals - 7, number kept 0
    Yamaha motorcycles - 1, number kept 0
    Tanks - 2, number kept 0
    Airplanes (all WW II) - 8, number kept 7
    Trebuchet - 1, number kept 0
    Buildings - 4, number kept 0
    Cars - 4, number kept 0
    Trucks - 1, number kept 0
    Star wars items - 8, number kept 1
    Trashed builds - 6 (mostly ships)
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have built a wide range of paper models. Around 200 of them so far.
    Cartoon characters, hakos, buildings, planets, ships and boats, aircraft, automata, seige engines, and a lot of polyhedra. Most all of them have been given away or have been destroyed by being played with.:grin:
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah the number for me is way up there............ with beta builds, re-coloring, and just in general. But I give most(99%) away so keeping them around the house ain't a problem.

My buddy Bubba has a almost two year old grandson, they seem to last him about a week.

mr john gives him pames!:grin:
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

i know my number is up there too, but most of my models I tend to keep, as they are the basis for my collection.

There are some that I give away,

in the time i have been doing paper models, only about 5 or 6 models I have given away.
    and an equal number have met my fist.....

5. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Well I guess I must be the low man around here. I have completed 4.
    F-14 "black bunny" girl
    Digital Navy V-108
    Cartoon bird
    Wicked Wench

I have 2 in progress and hundreds on the "to build" list.

I have lost 3 due to frustration, or lack of skill.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Rick, What do you collect?

Kevin, the wicked wench doesnt look easy to me so I doubt if skill is the problem ;)

The ones I give my kids either last for darn near ever (sleeping beauty castle - though it did lose a tower or two) or they get demolished in an hour. Most of my builds have been requests from co workers for cube decorations :)
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

How many have I built? Waayy too many! How many did I give away? Just two. (Simpson's house to our local library, and a small shed w/palm tree to a neighbor girl.) I have built several for my daughter, but since most are still around I don't suppose that counts as giving them away. Hard to say if aircraft or spacecraft are my number one total, but third would definitely be ships.

Scott K.
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

I have also only completed 4 so far:
    FG Piper Cub
    Atom Box from Disney Experience
    Canon 3d-papercraft Panda
    Card-board shipping brick-boy (sits on my desk at work)

90% of the models I print out go to my dad via the mail to San Quentin. :)
    They have built a yamaha motor cycle, white-knight & SpaceshipOne, several airplanes, Epson semi-truck, chess set, a few satelites, and a very large christmas tree. Though I think my father gave all the models away but kept the Piper Cub for himself. :-D

Currently, I think I am more into trying to figure out how to make/design my own models instead of building others ;)
    I love this hobby!
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I totally forgot rockets and missiles! 5 of them 2 kept ;) still under 50 though!
  10. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Attached Files:

11. Kaz

Kaz Member

Nice low number for me as well, however when it says complete, does that mean no bits left over? Cos sometimes I try to do the landing gear, for instance, and realise I would ruin a perfectly acceptable model if I were to put them on.
    I give about half of them away, the completed ones that is.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I skip the gear usually as well. I can never get it to stick well enough to last on a model at my desk (lots of people always pick them up and put them down) They end up hung in my cube with paper clips. Maybe its time I start building little stands for them or something.
  13. barry

barry Active Member

How many built

Well not that many

Graf Spee

Norfolk (nearly)

Spanish Freighter ?

Boeing Clipper

About 6 other aircraft

so about 18 I guess

14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Don't really know how many I have built...
    5-6 ships and around 100 planes....

I started at the age of 11-12 and built them continuously till the age of 26.
    Some of the models 3,4 or 5 times, always improving them.
    Gave all of them away before coming to the US.
    Since then completed:
    Maly Modelarz Zero (gave to my son, shot down on the second day...)
    Modele Kartonowe Whirlwind (as above, except lost during first action...)
    Maly Modelarz A-10 (as above, survived 4 days, although with heavy damage)
    Still in one piece:
    Kancho's Ki-100
    Marek's Ki-61
    GreMir Ki-44
    ModelFan Ki-84
    GreMir Me-109D

In progress:
    Answer Ki-27
  15. I've build about 60 of them, they're on display in my living room, but what worries me ,there are about 100 on the shelf....:cool:
  16. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

When I stated around 200 I should have said most of them were simple ones that don't take a lot of skill to make and all were built over many years. I am far too impatient to take the time needed to make some of the real detailed ones. The polyhedra were very repetitious since most of them entailed putting pieces together that look alike in order to form the final shape. The buildings were mostly simple walls and roofs with no pillars or other such architecural details. I did build Sleeping Beauty's Castle from the Disney Experience site, though. That was fun.

The hakos were simple and quick as were most of the cartoon characters. All of the other types mentioned were easy and simple too. That is one of the things about paper models that I like. They look good even if they are simple to build. I always get the "That's a paper model?!" remark from folks that see them.:grin:

I am not a skilled builder by any means. I just like to tinker around. You know, so many models, so little time. :)
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

My main collection is Dakar vehicles, and tends to spread out from there

Rally cars, Tractor Trailer units, other race cars, racing trucks
    I also collect helicopter kits, need to get the courage up to start cutting into those that I have.

and one of the things i like to build and collect, are models from the Netherlands, lived there for 9 years.
    plus i have no translation issues with the dutch language.

18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'm probably in the neighborhood of 60 or so. Most of them having been my own designs.

I've done the F-86 a couple of times my F-15 I probably built close to 12 times I did a really simple apache when I was about 8 and a few others. Too bad I don't still have the pattern for the F-86 it would make a good Fiddlers Green model I think.
  19. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I went around the house and counted 75. That is how many in my posession. Most are miniatures. I did my first card model in 2nd grade,1968, bought my first kit in 1974 (Micromodels) and quite a few between then and now. (you would think I was really good at it)(I barely pass). What kind??? ALL KINDS!!! Nothing made from paper, no matter how silly, is not worthy of my time and effort.
  20. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hummm...maybe 20 or so which were finished...double that number for the amount which ended up in File 13.

Most I gave away when I moved into my latest cramped living quarters. However, a couple have an interesting demise behind them. One was the Barn Owl bird model. Just as I glued the final part on it, I realized I screwed up the head and decided I would use it as a sort of scarecrow for the Magpies that hogged my bird feeding station.

Worked pretty good and even had a couple of deer checking it out once in a while. However, I surprise night thunderstorm I didn't know about, passed through the area and the owl was no more. 8v)

The only 1:33 scale model I fully built was a P-38 which I gave to my nephew. I thought he liked the model, but it turned out he wanted to see if bottle rockets taped to it would allow it to fly. Well, the demise of the Lightning was rather spectacular as the bottle rocket pushed it to maybe 40 feet and then the final pop blew off the gondola and the remaining parts of the aircraft spiraled down to a smoking hole.

I decided after that, that I wouldn't give away a built printed model to my nephew. 8v)

By they way, I have printed out about 100 models, 20 with parts cut out, five with various parts made and zero anywhere near completion.