How many are using code 55 track?

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I started in N-scale back in the mid-60's and got locked in with the larger rail.

Seems to me code-55 would make a much more realistic layout but then I couldn't run my old Atlas Steam locos.

Most of my diesels should handle code 55 so I think I'll build a test loop to see how my existing fleet handles it. Might need to add a switch to see how the wheels handle the frogs.

Anyone have any proplems using code 55?

C

Catt

Dan,it depends on whose code 55 you are using. I am using the PECO code 55 on my big layout.I would have used the ATLAS but got tired of waiting for it.The ME code 55 is never available when you want it.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
If you use Peco 55, you won't have the problem. The inner pins are far smaller than their equivalents in Atlas code 55, and don't cause trouble even for quite weird old Arnold steamers and suchlike with huge flanges. It's another of the plus points to the peco offering. I haven't heard of anything that won't run on it. The story of old locos having flanges too big is not a code 55 issue, it's an Atlas code 55 issue.

Meanwhile the improvement in looks is huge from any code 80 to code 55.

Charles

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Am using Atlas code 55 on my entire layout and it is working fine... though I don;t have any old steamers I am using.... I am replacing all my Microtrain wheels with atlas metal wheels though.

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
If you want looks....go with the Atlas CD 55 (It will require you to make sure all your wheels are in Gauge)....if you want ubercompatability go with the Peco CD 55 or 80.....It all depends what you want from MRing.

I run Atlas CD 55 and I find it runs flawlessly, but hey, I perfer looks and reliability in my hobby.....I dont buy into the "it has to run everything out of the box or its not for me" syndrome.

David

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Well exactly. It's not exactly about looks -- it's about what it's trying to look like. Peco is modelling the UK/European tie spacing, Atlas the US spacing. Obviously using either one for the 'wrong' area will be a compromise... It'd be interesting to see what happens if Peco brought out a US-model code 55 -- they recently did for HO track which has made a lot of people happy, it seems...

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I think I would prefer to stick with ATLAS because they are an American company and they have shown support for many scales, for many years, not to mention they are one of very few companies to support the ERIE and Erie-Lackawanna railroads.

For years I have built my layouts with a lot of caution thrown in for running through switch-points. I started out with Aurora and Atlas back in the mid '60's when there were a lot of poor-running diesels with only 4-wheels powered.

Early steam locos had a difficult time with switches and would often pop the pony wheels off when negotiating switches. Most diesels ran through the frogs with little difficulty. The Con-Cor PA-1 was about as good as you could find.

I would like to have trackwork that is as fool-proof as possible.

Looking back at the early offerings in locos, we are really fortunate to have the present choices of quality makers and road names. Early on you had a choice of one road number on any loco. Now you have several choices and can often have three or four like diesels, all with different road numbers.

acsxfan1

May 26, 2003
Severn.Md
Visit site
davidmbedard said:
If you want looks....go with the Atlas CD 55 (It will require you to make sure all your wheels are in Gauge)....if you want ubercompatability go with the Peco CD 55 or 80.....It all depends what you want from MRing.

I run Atlas CD 55 and I find it runs flawlessly, but hey, I perfer looks and reliability in my hobby.....I dont buy into the "it has to run everything out of the box or its not for me" syndrome.

David

Me neither .. I like to have good looking track .. I can always fiddle with the wheels a little

tommann

Jul 27, 2005
Littlerock, Southern CA.
Sorry guys, I don't mind "fiddling" a little, but I'm all fiddled out on Atlas code 55. Looks great, but not worth the trouble in my opinion. I like to run trains, not look at track. Peco code 55 or Atlas? code 80 next time

Tom.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It looks like I'm the only one running code 80 here!
I don't mind the way it looks, once it is painted, weathered and ballasted, it looks fine.

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
My last layout used code 55 Micro Engineering, along with both Micro Engineering and hand built turnouts, My first NTrak as well as my first oNeTrak modules used Atlas code 80 while my 2nd NTrak 2 section module used Peco code 55.
My current Home layout is being built with both leftover and salvaged Micro Engineering flex as well as Atlas code 55 flex and turnouts.
I have used low profile wheels for 16 years and I body mount my couplers.
Everything seems to work well so far.