How many actully run there trains?

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
I know there are some people that dont really run there trains, does everyone here run them?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Well,...

...if I didn't lose my job after 9/11 and needed to dismantled my layout- I use to run almost every morning and evening to make the commuter runs, bring the through freights to the yard and do the local freight set outs/pick-ups.

I hope to be running a railroad again in about 2 years.

Mark :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Every Tuesday run night at the club, at least one of my beasties gets to stretch its legs. At 20 minutes a lap, they get a pretty good workout in 2 hours. Really feels good when a pair of one time junkers digs in their heels on the upgrade with a load of 25+ cars weighed out to NMRA standards. :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I am planning to set up operations very soon. I have my lower level track fully operational now and have been breaking in my locos on it. That's about as far as I've gotten to date but it won't be long now! :D :D

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have to admit that I have not run my trains at all in the last few months. I used to have them circle around while I was doing other things, but the layout has become cluttered with projects!

My engines are currently safely packed in a toolbox for transportation to either the modualr club (where I can do some real operating) or to friends' places where we combine some not so serious ops with other RR pursuits.

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
spitfire said:
I am planning to set up operations very soon. I have my lower level track fully operational now and have been breaking in my locos on it. That's about as far as I've gotten to date but it won't be long now! :D :D

Val

Was that quote "Breaking In" or just "breaking", Val?

Did you ever find out what was wrong with that one locomotive?

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Ohh! I do! I do! *Jumps up enthusiastically*

In my life, I find running trains to be soothing, and to escape from it all. (Sounds like a cheezy cruise commercial, eh?)

There's just something about trains. Who knows what. Inexplainable. But going upstairs and operating the trains, even if in circles, makes the world go away. It's the best kind of therapy. (And no--contrary to popular belief I do NOT talk to my trains!) ;)

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
In the summer i run my ride on ones normally once a week.

I normally run my trains every day for a month than take a month off for some reason. but when i do run the engines do get hot.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I run mine almost every day for at least 15 minutes, most times much more. I took that old advice to heart about having trains running as soon as possible while constructing the layout. It kept my interest up to see trains moving even though I was still working on some benchwork. I think one of the joys of a continuous run plan is running a train unattended while I'm working on some part of the layout. I'll glance up from my latest project as the express or long freight goes by and smile. :)
Ralph

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I try to run for a couple of hours each week. I have only laid 120' of mainline so far, stopped to finish some scenery before I continue. I have completed two industrial sections with 11 industries to switch. I do get about five or six hours a week for modeling etc.
It's spring here in North Texas so vegetable gardening is taking about three or four hours a week out of my train running time. In a couple of months, the temperature in the non-climate controlled train room will be over 100 for much of the day and that will limit my time as well.