How long have you been Model Railroading?

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I received a Lionel train set from a family freind when I was 1 year old and my father mounted it on a peice of plywood and then forbid anyone from using it unless he was around (due to his job, not often) and in the mood (also not often), which meant that if I wanted to watch trains, it had to be the real thing.
I started walking before I was 2 years old and, as Cranbrook (My home town) was/is a sub division point on the Canadian Pacific's Kootenay Division, I would give my mother (May her soul rest in peace) a major case of the fits every time I decided to "go for a walk".
My dad finaly relented, and when I became 10, he allowed me to operate the Lionel set and over the next few years, we added a few more peices of rolling stock and track.
When I was 13 years old, I received a Tri ang/Hornby set for christmas and over the next 3 years I added to it and even built a 4x8 layout.
In 1972 (I was 16), my dad bought a mobile home (the first house we ever owned) and my layout became too large for my space so I decided to trade it with a freind, who had started in the hobby a couple of years earlier with something called "N Scale".
I spent a year trying to persue the hobby, however, something (Girls) else (Ladies) was grabbing (Females) my attention and I dropped out in late 1973 and sold off my model railroad.
After school, I joined the navy and in 1979 I bought an N Scale starter set, some extra track, a few how-to books and some extra rolling stock and have never looked back (well there was that 3 year period when the Horribly Oversize crowd attempted to seduce me over to the "Dark Side"), and, all told, I have about 29 years in this great hobby.
At age 45 (almost 46) I guess I qualify as an old duck "Quack".
Happy modeling.
Cheers.

Terry

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Like many of the others on here I would have to say, "which time." I had a Lionel my folks bought me for Christmas when I was about 10 years old. I grew up in a railroad community (division points for 8 railroads (yes, I can still name then). Worked a summer in the UPRR yards while trying to get educated. Bought an oval and some HO rolling stock (still have most of it). Then took 20 years off to play Army where I got to ride on some very intresting trains (this was my railfan phase:D ).

Friend here invited me over to look at his standard/o gauge collection a couple of years ago and the bug bit me again. Studied and read for about six months before I decided what I wanted to do and which plan I would start with, at least. I started construction last February and am probably a quarter to a third finished. Took a month out to visit South Africa (3.5 foot gauge!) and all the tasks summer brings on have slowed me down somewhat, but with some cold air blowing in here from Canada I imagine I'll be getting cranked up again and going full bore pretty soon.

I am 65

Bob