How long have you been doing this?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sforbes, Oct 31, 2006.

1. sforbes

sforbes New Member

I was wondering how long people have been doing paper models. I was first exposed to it by a friend 24 years ago. Of course back then things were very basic and we used construction paper to build simple shapes.

My first project was a dirt bike about 2 inches long. Next from there was a bi-plane about the same size. It was really the memory of that that led me here. So I was curious how long others have been into this wonderful hobby.

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've been making paper models for about 54 years now. My first "exposure" was from the back of a Corn Flakes box. Then went to a paper model of a Studebaker dealership (actually, several....I plagued my dad to do a test drive at every Studie shop we passed to replace the model I had played to death. Wish I still had some of them...they go for 3 figures on Ebay.). When I started designing my own stick and tissue models, I used card stock to make the test build from before risking the allowance-busting balsa stock. I really got back with it when I got my first internet connection and stumbled across Paper Paradise.
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Card Modelling for Life

Hi Sean,

I made my first medieval houses and castles (Schreiber-Bogen kits) long before PC´s were invented, in the mid 60s. So, it´s been about forty years now, on and off.

Bengt :grin:
  4. sforbes

sforbes New Member

That is awesome, you must be as amazed as I am how far the models have come. I consider myself to be a talented individual but am in awe of the creations by members here. I hope to learn a lot from the masters on this site. Thanks for sharing your history! More, more!!!
  5. dinsour

dinsour Member

Here I go giving away my age again.
    Back about 1939 Kelloges corn flakes had some churches, castles and other buildings on the back of their boxes. They were not real complacated models but they were fun.
    Then during WWII wheaties put out put the Jack Armstrong fighter planes on their boxes. Then you could send away 2 box tops and a dime or quarter,(can't remember hjow much they were). Again they were not real complicated, but they flew great. You got 2 per kit.
    The son of the designer offered them on the net in the last couple of years and I got most of them. All except the P39 aircobra.
    Then I started all over again with the Fiddlers green CD. And well, here I am again. I build them then give them to my grand kids now.

- - - - - - 73 Ron
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I started building card models in 2001 after finding out about them searching for World War I aircraft models.

Started designing a year or so later.

Still design, but building is a bit difficult as I have shakey hands more often than not.
  7. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Well, I started in about 1963, when a modeling buddy who was stationed in Germany, sent me a couple of card models - brand long forgotten but one of them was a Stuka [about 1/33 scale, I think]. Really got going in earnest in 1965, when the same guy came home from Germany with about a 2 inch thick stack of Wilhelmshaven kits which we split. I still have some of these and pull one out every so often and build it. I can see no reason to save them as no one else in my family would build them. I got a big push when I discovered all the models available on the internet. The rest, as they say, is history. BTW, my mother used to make the cereal box models for me when I was just a little squirt. :)
    Fred Z.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have been doing this for a couple years now. Found a freebie online quite by accident and been hooked ever since. Its a great hobby :)
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well, I guess so far in this thread I'm the newbie. Only since August of this year. Several years ago I found a Mayflower ship in book form in a store and thought this was really cool. Tried to build it and failed miserably right off the bat. Back then there wasn't much info on line to use as a guide so I gave up on it, only to return this year (don't recall what made me do the search) and found out how much things have grown here, and that there was quality stuff online to try to learn on.

10. David H

David H Member

Well, I recall some Dr Who and Star Trek the Motion Picture projects on cereal packets in the late 70s or very early 80s.

Did some scratch built buildings etc for gaming in the 80s and some kits.Tried Geli in the 90s but the real start was with the "tint-er-net" in 2001-2002.

Three Cheers for Marcle Models!

11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I started around 1999 while looking for some nets to make some large size D&D dice. All-o-asudden there was all of these other neat looking things to occupy time with.:yep:
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

I picked it up 2 or 3 years ago, after a friend brought me some card models back from Europe and challenged me: "Bet you can't build one of these!!"

Well, I did. And there are still more to come!!

Some guys have a hobby in a Tractor Plant. I took a hobby and built a Tractor Plant around it.....go figure.

13. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Well...I scratchbuilt a house with a swimming pool and a car and a palm tree in second grade (1967)...then in 1974 I found 6 Little Ships and Galleons by Micromodels in a hobby shop where the owner told me Micromodels were out of business.

I forgot all about cardmodels until 2003. I was searching for a picture of an old sailing ship when I saw a picture of a completed Micromodels Santa Maria and memory took over. I am very pleased to tell you I now have all Micromodels!!! Plus thousands of free downloads...The WWW is WWWONDERFUL!!!

I claim knowledge of cardmodels for 32 years...but I have only been building them for 3 years now.