How long have you been cardmodeling?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by paper warrior, Nov 9, 2006.

1. possm_23

possm_23 Member

I been cardin for about 2 years now....a friend at school (lepercan) got me first attempt went well...the MIG 15 i think.....i got a question also....what does every one else do with left over parts?.....i hate to through them away......:)
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I cut them into new replacement parts, use them for scrap, or modify them to be used on other kits.
  3. cjd

cjd Member

Recently been papermodeling for about a year, having discovered stuff on the internet while looking for origami. I did have and build a Birdmobile Merlin when I was about 9 or 10, and a book of Dragon models at about 11, but could'nt find any others at that time.
    Gods bless the Internet!

4. DrBill

DrBill Member

Late 1940's and frontier forts in cereal boxes. Then a reintroduction at the San Antonio Hobby Shop in Mountain View CA, where they carried a lot of Schreiber models in the early 1980's -- SAHS is now out of business I'm told. Then again in 2000 when I ran into the FG Piper Cub. In between was plastic, U-control and stick and tissue. But the Cub finally set the hook!
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

60 years of cardin',d***
  6. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

I built my first paper model in 1967. It was a MiG-17 issued by the Israeli air force magazine, after the six days war. A simple kit in Wilhelmshaven style.
  7. I started in 1980 with my first model. the Titanic. Came in a book and was 4' long when finished. I still have it today over my desk. It is still in one piece and in pretty good shape except for some yellowing. Back then you couln't just print another page and they didn't have color copiers either. so you had to be verrrrrry careful to get it right the first time. Anyone out there been at it 27 years?
  8. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I built/scratchbuilt models in a variety of materials, but it took me until '97 or so (when the internet started taking off) that I did my first printed paper model - a gliding space shuttle.

Since then I've gotten the skills to design/build my own models.:cool:

N and Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at:paperbeam - virtual paper models
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I believe my first card model was '86. Not quite 27 years, but it was 21 years ago and I'm 36 ;) I haven't been active in card models through much of that time though.
  10. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I've been downloading free paper models ever since I stumbled across jan rukr's alien pulse rifle and APC around 2-4 years ago... I've only just gotten around to actually building stuff in the last few months.

I have a request to build a specific ship, which will have to be done from scratch, my first purchased kits just arrived in the mail, I'm still finding and downloading lots of free models, and yes those aliens models are still in the ever-growing build queue :D
  11. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

Been about 2 years though with moving over 1200 miles twice in that time frame and getting married, having a baby girl, starting a new job...

Well, I've got a mediocre A-10, a zoo of animals of the epson and canon sites and a pile of printed sheets that will be Galactica as soon as we're done the next move (in a month or two)
  12. Chas

Chas New Member

About 5 years... planes and spacecraft at first but now ships mainly for the last year or so...
  13. miguelj

miguelj Papercraft Addict

I accidentally found the Yamaha site while looking for my sister's origami project last September. I never stopped building ever since. The only problem now is where to put all of them:cry:
  14. angevine

angevine Member

I have been a cardmodeller since September 2005 when I stumbled apon Not looked back since....

Although I still build plastic kits as well......
  15. As I mentioned elsewhere, my first card model was a Bucky Fuller geodesic dome from plans in Popular Science in the late '60s or early '70s. A typical styrene enthusiast as a kid/teen, I put models aside for decades while absorbed on work and other passions. As a computer geek, I got into 3D modeling to an extent and accumulated a collection of 3D models found online. In '04, after being one of the lucky thousand to score the Disney 50th anniversary 20,000 Leagues Nautilus miniature, my interest in models collecting and building reemerged. I found the shared online card model movement a fascinating internet subculture akin to those who share 3D models, software, music, etc. I quickly accumulated a huge collection of files and always have a model or 2 in progress. The great thing about card models is that it's so easy to pick it up and put it down. I never was much for painting, anyway.