How long have you been cardmodeling?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by paper warrior, Nov 9, 2006.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

How long have you been cardmodeling?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

months or years?
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

sorry bout that,years
  4. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member in the psat five years there has been a "Paper Modeler Boom"!
  5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

At least in the US there has been... I had done a few when I was a child, but never saw anything as high quality or complex as what I'm building now. Couple of years ago, I ran across jleslie's site and boom! Instant addict.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot man I was indoctrinated into plastic and never ever knew there was such a thing a card modeling.................. sure glad they rescued me from that cult!:grin:

I am a born-again modeler!

7. 46rob

46rob Member

Never realized how long I was doing it until I counted.
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

June 8, 2001...I stopped by the now defunct hobby shop to look for small scale World War I model aircraft. None.

June 9, 2001...bored on my 50th birthday and having recently moved to a new place, there I was sitting in front of my computer, taking a break from unpacking boxes. Why not search the internet for a store I can buy models from I said to myself. So, I type in World War I model aircraft in one of the search engines and near the bottom of the first page of links was Fiddlers Green.

The rest is modeling history.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I was surfing around looking for origami type planes for a birthday party, when FG's Piper Cub popped up on the search engine, the rest is history.
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

I picked 2-5 as that best fit me as a main or major hobby.
    I had briefly flirted with it almost 30 years ago - a couple of german kits that predated my taking german in school.
    It was recalling a JCS Hindenberg kit my brother had started back then that got me "back into the fold" (gotta be a good motto in there). I found Ralph Currell's R101 and there I went.
  11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

My first paper model was the Meta Model XB-70 back in early 1994. I bought it back in 1982, but it took me that long to try it. The next 2 were b&w reduced copies of Geli's FW-189 and HE-111 (which flew nicely, when I tossed it once.) When I first went online in '96, I came across Steve Brown's FAQ, then found FG, and the rest is history. Thanks Steve and Chip!

Scott K.
  12. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

6-7 years. Not an all the time modeler. My skills still need improvement. I mostly make uncomplicated models that get played with until they are destroyed, then I make replacements. Still like the hobby a lot, though.:yep:
  13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Depends on what you count as cardmodels. I first made one at age 4 when I attempted to modify a cardboard box into a boat.
    With a tighter criteria--must be cardstock--then I did my first one at age 7 when I scratch built an alien spaceship of my own design. Sorry, I don't have it anymore. Wish I had a photo.

Okay tighter criteria--I first assembled a cardmodel from a kit at age 12ish. It was a model of the gatehouse of Hampton Court and I bought the kit with money saved from babysitting. I think it cost twelve dollars, and I only made a dollar an hour for babysitting. Then I did the Tower of London, Canterbury Cathedral, and the Whitehouse.

I didn't know this was called cardmodeling until I started scratch-building boats again and found this website. That was about two years ago. Funny how I'm back to the first subject matter that I attemped as a kid.

14. josve

josve Active Member

There should have been another option also :)
    1-2 years....
    I have been cardmodelling for one year so far, but I hope I will continue for many years!!
  15. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Wow! You do great stuff. I'm surprised you've only been doing it for a year.

16. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

"My name is Rick and I am a cardmodeler............"
    Oh, this isn't C.A.?
  17. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Let me see. Which came first the paper or the tree?????

I have been doing this for over two years now. I had to find a hobby.
  18. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

I was looking up some information on the transcendentalist and the Concord philosophers found a reference to a model of Thoreau's Walden cabin. the rest is history.
  19. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i am card modeling from the 2000+-

but i use to bult in my yang alots of paper models pablish by the israeli air force ma (must of the odels are wilhasmhaver)
  20. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

I got infected at the age of around 8 years by my father , who was into naval cardboard modeling, mostly Wilhelmshaven stuff.
    I preferred aircraft as there was a small GA airfield quite close and on sunny afternoons I´d lay in the meadows, watching Walter Extra practising aerobatics in his lovely Pitt S-1S.
    This cardboard stuff went on and off until the age of 20, when university started to eat up all of my time. I rediscovered cardboard building about 12 to 14 years ago, so I think I have been into this stuff for some 25 years by now all in all.

Greetings, Martin