How long do they take to build?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Arjun, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

All fo my models have taken less than a day or two to build. One day goes in preparing the blueprints and the development of parts– at least six hours. Another goes into cutting, pasting and painting (if needed) and that often finishes quickly, but in case I need to make the model more detailed and more accurate, it will take longer. I don't use pre-drawn kits for my models.

All of my models look very primitive compared to most of what I find in the same category. While there are many which are prepared from downloaded or printed kits, I'd like to know how long they take to build, especially if they're built from scratch, the way I make them.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

hmmm, that's like asking, "how long does it take to build a house?"
    It all depends.

I have a lot of printed kits.
    Each of them would take from an hour to maybe 2 years, and anywhere in between. I have some with just a few parts and some with several thousand parts.

Unless I am just misunderstanding your question, I don't know how else to answer it. Sorry.:)

3. Arjun

Arjun Member

I'd like to see some models you have made. You can tell me how long each took.

My MiG-29 was finished in three days, and you can see a picture in the gallery. I've seen more elaborate models, so I'd like to know how long they took, scratchbuilt or otherwise.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

here are some rough (very rough) estimates

to build a trotskiy plane - first one about 6 hours now takes about 4 hours

to build most of the animals on yamahas site - roughly 8-10 hours
    to build one of the yamaha motorcycles 30-35 hours
    look in my gallery (cgutzmer)
    dragon: 20-25 hours
    spitfires 10-12 hours
    tigertank 20-25 hours (stupid treads)
    keep in mind many of these builds were quite some time ago and I built them over a course of many days and I am only estimating total hours (I built them in between calls when I worked at our helpdesk)

oh yeah, my most recent build (the ki-115 in my sig) was probably around 40 hours.
  5. Arjun

Arjun Member

Thanks a lot! Impressive models, all of them. No wonder they've taken so long. I've made a Spitfire/Hurricane in at least eight hours and I've posted a photo of that there. That kind of effect is missing in the wings.

I'm surprised that it took so long to make these predesigned kit animals. Must be because of the amount of detail in those kits.

Has anyone modelled the Currell Concorde?
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Pretty much all of those animals were my first builds. I imagine if I went back and built one now it would go much faster..... I am a bit more comfortable within my skill level now.... :D

Glad you liked them!
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Milenio3 has built most if not all of the Concordes from Currell/Te Groen

8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I believe that your question is better posed to the designers, especially when including the layout, drawing and as you put it, blueprint of the kit.

As for building, depends on your skill level, depending on the model kit i am working on, I can be done in a hour or less or take several evenings to complete.

I have a couple of truck kits I have started, but I have not gotten back to, because i feel my skills aren't up to the task yet, but one day i will get back to them.