how hard is it to add switches to track already in place?

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
ok, im laying flex track, i have come to a stopping point, as i need to go buy some more switches.,

im running on foam, glueing WS foam roadbed down, then gluing the flex track down on top of that. how much trouple would i be in if i put down all the track for the main line, and then come back later and wanted to put in switches?

can i just cut out the flex track where i want switches and put them in?

i hate to stop work on the mainline if i dont have to.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ozzy -

It depends on the glue you use...! If you're using some sort of industrial strength adhesive, you probably will damage the foam roadbed when you remove the flex track to put in the turnout.

However, if it is feasible, can you either just tack (lightly glue) or not glue the section(s) in question? If yes, then all you need to do later is use the razor saw or dremel to cut out the appropriate piece of track.

Andrew

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
im using the WS foam tack glue. like a white glue.

i had a thought,,,,(yes its scary) i could cut the flextrack where i want the switch, glue up to the point where i want the switch to start, then cut another small piece of track however long the swtch is. but dont glue that piece, then start back off with flextrack after the switch.... this might work.

and if the spot is already glued i could maybe cut out and replace the bad roadbed.......?