How far will you mod?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Al hazlet, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

I've been making several Fiddler's Green Ju-52s for an upcoming wargaming convention game (Barlow's Raid, in which American Tanks attack an German airfield) and I've ended up making several changes to the kit as drawn.

First, I resized them (no big deal) down to 1/100 to make them fit the game scale, then cut and pasted the wing sections and flaps to make one-piece wing assemblies, and ended up doing the same to the tail surfaces. What worked in Fiddler's Green's standard 1/60 scale just didn't look right or was too fiddly in the smaller scale (for me at least -- you'll never see me doing warship models in those smaller scales).

It got me wondering, though. How much will you change when you are working on a model? Is this a normal practice? I guess it's my technician background -- I'm used to following the instruction set pretty closely, though when I making things from scratch I'm all about cut and paste and multiple working models before I arrive at a final version.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination but from what I've seen around here the only thing that matters really is if you like how it looks when your done. I think most people will be hard pressed to find someone more critical of their own work than they are.

One members signature that I've seen says "There is no right or wrong. Only what works." Some guys modify their models so much I wonder how much is really the original kit when they're done(Those are the ones I think look the best). My own opinion is that the Lord gave us all brains and any good idea that comes to mind is worthy of serious consideration.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Guys,

In my opinion That's what makes this hobby so fantastic. Modelers have been tweaking models for a looong time, to me it just seems easier to do the tweaking in the paper versions.

If you like the basic model and build it exactly by-the-book that's great, but for most of us adding the little details or total changing the model is where the artist comes in, and the fun too!

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

At the modelclub I attend sometimes, there is a chap who has made a model, or two, every month, and brought them to the club (we have a little competition going) for as long as I have been a member, and that is about 30 years. His models are straight out of the box, (we are talking plastic here) matt paints, decals straight on, no varnishes, no weathering, if the instructions say black for the tyres, then black it is, filler and sandpaper are complete mysteries to him, and you can identify his models at a glance from his fingerprints in the paint and glue. His models have been consistantly dreadful for decades. Awful models? You bet. Low aspirations? More like non-existant. Have we tried to educate him? 'Til we are blue in the face. Is his happy? Oh yes. As a pig in a place where pigs are happiest.

In contrast, there is another member, no names no pack drill ( OK, its me) who researches projects endlessly, never looks at a kit without working out how to improve it, change the markings, the weapon load-outs, the cockpit details (insert alternate aspects for ships, tanks, rockets etc) I buy a few kits now and then that invariably end up on a giant 'To-Do' pile, but I spend a small fortune on books, magazines, CDs, trips to museums, plans and so one. Am I happy? No. I am completely frustrated, 'cos I NEVER finish anything! Heck, I barely even start most of my projects!

Somewhere in between there must be a happy medium. I'd strive for that happy place, if I was you!

Tim P

PS and consider this: Airfix have made a WHOLE lot more money out of him, compared with me!
  5. Darwin

Darwin Member

My two bucks worth (the amount now needed to equal the buying power of two cents at the time the phrase was coined)....ask any member what they are with respect to the paper craft aspect of their life, and they will respoind "I am a paper modeler." What you don't hear is "I am a paper model assembler." Basically put, we are making a representation of some thing that is primarily comprised of paper. Fidelity to the kit as originally designed is not a requirement. How far one deviates is the individual's choice, and depends on skill, purpose of the build, mood at the moment, etc. Most times I am a deviant. Even when doing a test build, I may work a change or two in the design (though when test building try keeping it to a minimum, and only in areas that make no appreciable change to the final appearance or buildabilitly of the model. However, in some cases I make a build just straight from the box, so to speak. In my current projects, the only changes (other than the hidden inner framework of the models) is in scale. Bottom line is....whatever floats you boat is just fine.