How Do You.......

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Herc Driver, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

As an Nscale-guy, let me ask this question about weathering...

How do you weather (or color) the connection hoses in the front/rear of your diesels? All the hoses on my diesel collection are embedded into the plastic snow plow and almost all are not raised enough to color each hose individually. I was going to try using a extra-fine black sharpie. The hoses seem too small to accurately paint, and chalk only colors the whole area. How do you guys handle this weathering situation?
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

While I'm not familiar with the particular situation you mention, your idea with the Sharpie should work. If the hoses are cast "in relief", even slightly, you should be able to do them with a brush, too. Use a good quality brush, with a clean shape to it (no stray hairs sticking out the sides). You don't have to use a really small brush for this, either, as the secret is to use the side of the tip of the brush. The shallower the relief of the casting, the more parallel the brush handle should be to the part that you're painting. With not too much paint on the brush, simply skim it over the raised details. You may have to make several passes in order to cover all the places you want coloured. If the relief is deep enough, you can also paint part of the sides of the cast detail, since it's much easier to see exactly where the sides are after doing the first step. I use that technique to paint the cast-on handrails on cabooses. The first pass, using the side of the brush, delineates the handrail. Now that I can see what I'm working on, I make two more passes, one one either side of the handrail with the brush at about a 60 degree angle the the side of the caboose. This extends paint, in a fairly controlled manner, down either side of the protruding handhold, giving it a more rounded appearance, and making the depth of it appear similar to the breadth of the outer face.

Incidently, it's good to see so many familiar names here already: looks like this Forum arrived just in time.:thumb:

3. Herc Driver

I will try that idea. I planned on using a 00 brush - but even with a steady hand - the Nscale hoses are tiny. I'd like to get more close up shots of the layout and rolling stock but when I do - the little things like correct hose color, rust and grime where it's needed - stand out as missing. On a clean diesel, that's no problem, but on well-worn items it looks less than ideal IMHO.

I'm glad of this forum section too...I'd like to improve my techniques with chalk and this is the place for the info.
  4. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I'm having the same issues, Herc...

I see all these beautifully detailed HO models, and a lot of that just isn't possible in N scale. They're too small. My hand is as steady as they come, but it's difficult to do when the molding isn't there to begin with.

As for locos specifically, I'm going to buy a super detailing kit for my GP-7. My layout is small enough that I won't have a huge roster of engines, so I'm able to spend the extra time/money on what I do have.
  5. jflessne

jflessne Member

6. Herc Driver

Yep - I've used those and they work great for some painting projects like window frames in Nscale. I want to try painting the hoses though...what works and what doesn't I'll post here.
  7. jflessne

jflessne Member

Years ago I remember seeing a product that you could paint on models. Like a mask. After you painted the section or item you simply peel off the masking.

Maybe this is just more work in this case??? :(

FYi Microscale makes a liquid called micro Mask (Goes on Blue) and Walthers sells a product called Magic Masker. (Smells terrible.)
  8. Herc Driver

Thanks guys for the ideas...

I tried a sharpie extra fine point, and with a real steady hand, got them painted on a Kato SD70 (yep Deano...that UP SD70). You rally need a magnifying glass to see the sides well though. So I took a really close up picture and checked it out on the computer to see where I missed. After it was all done, I weathered them with chalks to tone down the shinny black of the pen. It looks ok really close up - much better from one foot away. The hoses jump out at you a bit better than before - but I still don't think this is the answer. I'd like to try india ink - but I think it would be too hard controling the liquid. I might try to use the ink and then remove what I don't need on the plow face - thereby leaving only the hoses darkened.
  9. KCS

KCS Member

Best thing would be to use a grimy black for a used look and flat black for a new look. Now other than flat black I mix in just enough gray to change the flat black one shade lighter than the soild black on a model then I outline the glad hand and anglecock with a #70 drill bit in a small pin vise. I only use a drill bit that is broke and no longer useable but that is the best thing from wire because the bit has grooves that hold paint but wire won't hold paint therefore it takes A LOT longer to do with wire. What I normally do is set the model far enough from the edge of the table that I can rest my hand's on the edge centering them to where I can move them up, down, side to side.

I hold both hand's together with the pin vise loaded with paint and excess brushed off the side of the bottle then holding the bit in a slight downward postion aloowing the paint to flow to the tip. This allows for sharp painting of very tiny objects and both hands being together keep any stray marks of paint from going other than where you want it. This is really good for those who don't have a steady hand. Then again if that doesn't work then stop, put everything down, take a nice long deep breath then let it out and start again. lol Now this method I use for HO but using smaller bit's (or what ever you prefer) and change the method a little and it should come out with good results.

This I can give tip's on because detail painting on the pilot's and fuel tanks of locomotivs is the only thing I can paint really good with the exception of the yellow and black saftey stripes on the hand rails of a KCS unit for prototype.

Hope this helps.
  10. Herc Driver

KCS - If you have a picture of the final result - I'd love to see it.
  11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

OK, Herc, you had to mention your AWESOME SD70 phase3:D, now that you totally have my interest...PLEASE POST THE PROGRESS YOU HAVE MADE!!!:thumb::D :D -Deano
  12. Herc Driver

Here ya go Deano...but with this note: this engine is no where near done, I'm just trying to detail one area at a time. Those hoses were first on my list and they are not done yet. But the work is microscopic. This picture only shows my first attempt at coloring those hoses, rust chalk weathering on the trucks (most of the plow rust chalk came off when doing the hoses and needs re-touched). I want to really try to detail one engine and picked this one to start. Some of the fuel caps needed red paint touch up like the prototype, and other red coverings needed attention that was easily fixed with a red sharpie (extra fine tip of course). When I get it better detailed - I'll post a pic. For now...this is all I have to show for my early work with chalks on it.

Attached Files:

13. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

looking VERY GOOD so far Herc!:thumb: cant wait to see it finished:thumb: . :D -Deano