How do you take the blasted shell off?

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I've tried to do this, but I'm afraid I'm about to break something. How do you get the shell off of the Atlas Master Silver Series F-M Trainmaster? I need to drop in the decoder. Any tips before I break something?

Thanks

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
You beat me to it CRed.:mrgreen:
I just went through this. Look at your assembly diagram. There may be some clue as to where the shell connects to the frame. I couldn't seem to squeeze the shell hard enough to get the tabs to disengage, but a very thin jewler's screwdriver inserted under the walkway did the trick. It took a while, but was eventually able to get the shell off.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I need more hands

Thanks everyone.

After being pointed into the right direction (and a great view of what NOT to do), I saw the light. It took me, my wife, a screwdriver, and a flashlight to find what I was looking for. Thanks for the direction.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Thanks everyone.

After being pointed into the right direction (and a great view of what NOT to do), I saw the light. It took me, my wife, a screwdriver, and a flashlight to find what I was looking for. Thanks for the direction.

ymeBP and myltlpny deserve the credit,but I'm glad I could send you in the right direction.

Chris

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
New Question - DCC Pinouts

I got the shell off tonight and ran into another snag. Which way does the decoder go in? Here is the far away view of everything lined up in the proper direction.

P6130011.jpg

Here is the close-up of the connectors on the loco.

P6130009.jpg

I know that the triangle on the bottom right pin is supposed to be pin 1.

Here is the close-up of the DCC Decoder.

P6130010.jpg

So which wire goes into pin 1? Is it the grey or orange or does it really matter? Don't want to kill a decoder or loco tonight.

I'm gonna drop this this into the DCC forum as well.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Hooked Her up this AM

Dropped in the decoder, and tested her out this morning before work. She runs like a champ! I almost was late going into the office because of it; I knew I should have stayed home. . .