how do you store your train?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by indy197905, Feb 11, 2007.

1. indy197905

indy197905 New Member

What's the best way to store your train when its not in use? Would using the boxes that the cars come in work? The only trouble is taking them all out of the individual boxes every time I want to use them. Is there a better way? I only ask cause I have cats and I don't want cat hair clogging my locomotive and cars.
  2. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

I store mine in an open display cabinet that's bolted to the wall. It has four shelves with 2 3 foot sections of flex track each. All my locomotives get stored there when they're not on the layout. The rolling stock all gets stored on the layout.
  3. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I have an over abundance of locomotives, and lots of 85 foor passenger cars. storage is tough. i really need to get a display case of some kind!
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use two methods.

This is a Showcase Express wall unit. They are aluminum channels gauged for HO scale. They come with plastic shields and end caps and interlock to whatever length you want. You may get lucky as I did and find them at a local flea market.

These are storage boxes I built myself from 3/8" particle board. I'm still trying to find some automotive headliner material to line them with but, for now, chunks of 1" foam do the job well. They hold roughly 25 freight cars alone or 10 passenger and 5 freight cars together. I made them so they stack one on another and they sit in a cart I made that rolls under the layout when not in use.
  5. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Card boxes are perfect for O.

I wrap up HO in paper and put in regular card board boxes. Priority mail boxes work well for that.
  6. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Well, I am getting to that point were I have too many cars for my layout to sign1 well, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY, but I do put them back in there original boxes for storage, I just like to be organized and it is like opening them for the first time again lol :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D :D :D :D
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I have a dresser drawer set with three drawers that I divided with wood partitions much like Shaygetz did with his storage boxes.
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Freight equipment is stored, in its original boxes, on shelves under the staging yards, where it's easily accessible to rotate on or off the layout. Probably only 1/4 or 1/3 of it is on the layout at any time. Locomotives (usually diesels, as the steam is in use most of the time), passenger cars, and non-revenue equipment is stored in these home-made cartons. The boxes are those used for shipping fruit and vegetables, with a separate lid, while the trays are made from corrugated cardboard, and are sized to suit the equipment. Paper towels and tissue protect the paint and details, and the boxes are very sturdy (and cheap).

9. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

All I have in terms of rail riding stuff is one single locomotive and 8 rolling stock, so I just leave all of it on my layout seeing as it doesn't matter. If I ever reach the stage where I need to store cars, the cars will either go in their boxes or will go on display. But for $20 bucks a car and around $100 for a loco, that's not to soon! (I will only buy good quality items like the P2K series.)sign1
  10. jr switch

jr switch Member

I just bought a 6' tall bookcase, about 3' wide with 6 shelves. This is set up in a bedroom and secured to the wall for stability.
    I make a base out of the 1/4" thick paper backed foam sheet from the arts/craft store, cover it with a type of felt material from the fabric store, wrapped around and under and super glued to the bottom. Snap two sections of "easy track" together, cut off the tabs and rail joiner on each end of the double section, then super glue to the base, having allowed for about 1/2 to 3/4" of base on each side of track. The two sections of track are long enough for 4-8-4's, 2-10-2's and even some of the articulated's.
    This makes for a very stable base for the engines, engine can be taken to and from the layout on this and they look good sitting on the shelf. The felt material glued to the underside also protects the finish on furnature and has enough "drag" on the wooden shelf that it stays in place. A word of caution however--when carrying an engine/tender to the layout, keep a finger or thumb on top of the engine to keep it on the track. Don't ask me how I came up with this precaution.----
  11. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Like Shaygetz, I have two methods as well:

and a number of foam-lined boxes that electrical equipment came in. the cheaper and less fragile go in the boxes and the more expensive and breakable end up in the display case.
  12. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

the only problem i have with some locomotives is those sunshades. if at any time a locomotive with such details is on it's side, it will just break off. if it's brass, it might survive that only a few times.
  13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

usually you can put a car or lcomotive back in the original box, butKit cars often end up bigger than the box (couplings stick out or the flat sides and roof suddenly are a big box). Anything with extra detail suddenly won't fit or will get crushed. (Some of the English locomotives start to shed details the first time they come out of the box.)
    Cars that I may use soon are stored in trays from the dollar store -- I think they're cutlery trays and they clip together. Other ones are put in old computer board boxes -- these used to come with foam linings, even eggbox foam, and this holds them delicately but firmly for transport.
  14. Santa Fe Jack

Santa Fe Jack Member

Now that is sweet! :thumb: