How do you set up a Futaba MC112B ESC?

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Jag, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag

Jag New Member

Hi,
    Having some difficulty getting the Futaba and airtronics XL2P controller to work properly. Seems both the wheels spin and steering goes erratic. I tried playing with trim controls, but it doesn't seem to respond correctly. Not sure how to adjust the two small adjustment screws (high and neutral) on the Futaba, and how this effects it all. The throttle is seeming to be either full on, or not working at all as I make adjustments, and really isnt responding to the transmitter properly at all. It all seems to be plugged in correctly, so I don't think theres a problem there. I think it's in the setting up side where things are wrong. Any advice here on how to adjust this stuff? I'm a newbie, oh my God, help!!
  2. Trashcanoccupant449

Trashcanoccupant449 Member

What is the setup you have? What is your receiver model, transmitter model and ESC model? If you can find this out for me I might be able to help,...
  3. Jag

Jag New Member

Thanks for the help offer. It's an Airtronics XL2P controller, Futaba MC112B speed control, Airtronics 2 channel receiver, Futaba FP-S148 steering servo and an Associated competition stock motor. All this in a Kyosho Ultima Pro. Just ask if you need any more info, thanks.
    Jag
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

Is this a new problem, or did you just get this car? With the steering giving you problems, it sound like the crystals may be damaged, have tried changing them? Or maybe the receiver is bad or has moisture in it, might spray it out with alcohol then let it dry.
  5. mastmec

mastmec Member

To adj on the ESC, first set your throttle adj on the transmitter(TX) in the middle, then with all on, adj the ESC nutral to where the wheels quit spinning forward, Then adj high while holding the throttle wide open and adj till the motor tops out. Futaba does not have the manual on their web site to download, but you might ba able to find out there somewhere, you can order it from them though.
  6. Jag

Jag New Member

This is a buggy that I just picked up on ebay. I have not tried changing the crystals, but i wll. The esc does not show signs of being wet, but I'll look into that as well. Your advice is much appreciated.
    Jag
  7. Trashcanoccupant449

The problem MIGHT be that you are using alot of different components for your radio system. I did a little experiment, I used a Kyosho Perfex Tx with a Futaba Rx. I tried this with many different crystal setups and the receiver wouldnt send anything to the servos. In short: my kyosho Tx wouldnt work with a futaba Rx, I know you don't have these same components and yours works but just not well but this MIGHT be a reason,...
  8. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

it probably a bad reciever or like Trashcan... said not compatible

that is what I think...
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

Is the receiver blue, does it say 'Z' connector?
  10. Jag

Jag New Member

The receiver is not blue, and doesn't say anything about Z connector. This is what I noticed though, there's an open connector for a battery. One connector goes from throttle to the esc, another from rudder to the steering servo. The battery spot is open, could this be the problem. Does a battery pack have to be plugged into the battery spot on the receiver? This is what it sorta looks to me like the problem might be. What do you guys think?
    Jag
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

OK it's the older model, you have it hooked up right, the batt. slot is for using it in a nitro car. Just make sure the connectors from the ESC and servo are white,black,red with the red towards the outside of the receiver and white towards the center.
  12. Jag

Jag New Member

Ok, that's the way it is hooked up. It all looks proper to me, just doesn't work. I would like to know though, is it the esc or the receiver that is acting up, cause I'm allready thinking about ebay and replacing something. I really wanna try this buggy out!
    Jaggy
  13. Trashcanoccupant449

Wait, so how do you have it setup?? It should be like this: You plug the steering servo into channel 1 and the ESC into channel 2, there should be nothing plugged into the "batt" input thingy. Now, your ESC should have acouple of plugs, and possibly an I/O switch (on/off). Plug the battery pack into the connector that is on your ESC. That is basically how you should set it up. I still think that it is a compatibility issue though. If I were you, I would just keep my eyes out on ebay for a cheap Futaba or radio system and just buy everything as a bundle and than if you really need the cash sell the radio components that you have.
  14. mastmec

mastmec Member

If the steering is acting up, it's not receiving properly, did you try the chrystals?
  15. Jag

Jag New Member

Hi,
    It is all set up the way trashcan says. The steering sometimes works right, but the motor response is just absolutely wonky. If I adjust the esc so that the motor does not work at all, then the steering works fine.As soon as I adjust the neutral control on the esc so that the motor kicks it, then the steering goes all jerky. I have tried different crystals now, no change. I suspect I need to replace the receiver, and the transmitter unit. Hopefully the esc doesn't need replacing. What a friggin' headache, but hey, at least I still got my Stampede to roar around with!!
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

If the steering is working except when the motor is, it sounds like the motor is causing some interferance, make sure that the capasitors are ok or try a different motor. Also you said you already changed the chystals, is your other radio an Airtronics, and the same Mhz, if so, change out the receivers and see what happens. But it doesn't matter about servo brand or ESC brand as long as the polaity is right at the connector.
  17. Jag

Jag New Member

Ok, I tried out a different controller today, and that seemed to help a lot. I now can control the steering and the moter somewhat. Seems reverse is proportional, but for going forward, it's all the power immediately. I thought the esc I had was proportional, so that doesn't seem quite right to me. Also, the range on the buggy was really short when I tried it outside, it seems after about 100 feet that I was loosing control of the steering on it. I think perhaps the reciever is faulty, what do you guys think?
  18. Trashcanoccupant449

Hmmm...thats odd. Make sure that the motor you are using doesn't have a schottky diode on it, that will severly affect performance. The only thing I can think about with the range is that the receiver wire is cut or you have bad batteries in your Tx????
  19. Trashcanoccupant449

Did you get it working jag?
  20. Jag

Jag New Member

I threw in the towel, went on ebay and bought a new futabe transmitter, receiver and servo's. I'll put all that in it when it comes, and start from there. My gut instinct was telling me that the receiver was not good on it. Like all things in life, throw enough money at it, and sooner or later it will be fixed.
    Had my nitro car out today for the first time. Man, now that was a freakin' riot. Till the brakes acted up and forced me to go home.
    Jag
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.