How do you open the loco cover?

PrairieTrains

Just received my starter loco - it is a Walther's ALCO FA-1 Diesel. I was just wanting to open it up to see how much room there might be for a decoder, etc. Is there any easy way without breaking something?? I've attached a photo. Thank you for your help, Pat Patrick

Attachments

• ALCO FA-1 Diesel.jpg
    ALCO FA-1 Diesel.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 8

e-paw

I have an older one from about 10 years ago. with a smaller fuel tank. Mine has 4 screws on the frame near the tank that hold the frame to the shell. if you pry off the tank they may be there.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
First, remove the coupler boxes. There's two screws on eachh side that hold the box in. The rear coupler is the same. Just remember the longer coupler box is the front.

Attachments

• fa2.jpg
    fa2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 7

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Next...remove the fuel tank. This is held by clips on the frame. Slight pry with a jewlers screwdriver should pop it right off.

Attachments

• fa3.jpg
    fa3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 6

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Next...theres four tabs, two on each side, that hold the glazing for the side porthole. Carefully pry on these, and at the same time lift the frame until the clips come undone from the frame.

Attachments

• fa4.jpg
    fa4.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 9

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Now comes the hard part.
Carefully, at the point where the glazing clips are, lift the frame off the body. Its a good idea to alternate between the front and back, left and right side.You will get scratches on the frame, but thses will be hidden with the body back in place.
Take your time on this step.

Attachments

• fa5.jpg
    fa5.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 5

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
And there you have it!
Assembly is the reverse, except the body will slip right back on. Make sure you have the porthole glazing is in place.

Attachments

• fa6.jpg
    fa6.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 8

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
By the looks, a speaker maybe pushing it. But you might be able to get a replacement PC board for a DCC decoder.
Good luck...Let us know how you made out.

PrairieTrains

I'm new at this - but a speaker would be fluff (and really not necessary). I was wondering if just one of the small decoders would fit ok? You know, tip of little finger size with a bunch of wires sticking out of it --- :)