How do you do Windows/Glass How to

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by lrjanzen, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. lrjanzen

    lrjanzen Member

    One of the failings of every forum i've ever worked with is finding treads that deal with specific issues. I have read through a number of excellent threads on the building of some great ships. There is s gold mine of "How to" info in each. THe problems getting at the info. Searches are not always helpfully. A search on "Windows" doesn't get you how they were done. It could just be someone saying they cut them out last.

    So I will start a thread. How does everyone do the windows of ships and buildings? I think aircraft are a special case with the curved canopies. I am talking about flat windows like one would see in buildings or the bridge of a ship.
  2. rickstef

    rickstef Guest

    it depends if you have a detailed bridge or interior,

    but the simplest way is to use overhead transparency film, or the clear plastic in donut boxes or large scale diecasts.
    or if you want heavier plastic, plastic shells of electronics or similar items

    as for detailing house windows, i would print a second sheet of the parts, and cut out the window frame/sill and glue that on the outside of the model, to give it some dimension

  3. blueeyedbear

    blueeyedbear Member

    Hi, Rick and all,

    For small windows in ships, houses, and aircraft, go to a hobby shop (perhaps in the model section of a craft store), and look for a product called "Crystal Clear". It resembles thin white glue. The are other brands that are just as good, one of them from Testors (I think). Shops that emphasize model trains usually carry it.

    OK, cut out the windows. Take a toothpick, dip it in the Crystal Clear, and run the glue covered toothpick around inside the frame of the window, making smaller circles until the glue bridges the gap.

    When it dries you will have a clear flat window. You can also tint it (a small amount in a bottle top), with a TINY amount of colored ink.

    It is a common technique used by model railroaders and aircraft modelers who like airliners. I've never used it for windows over about 1/4", but it's cheap and simple.

    I think I would use some sort of sealer first, just in case the ink in which the model was printed is water soluble.

  4. milenio3

    milenio3 Active Member

    For my model in progress of the International Space Station, the Destiny Lab module, I used a little piece of cellophane from a product I bought (can't remember what it was, but it surely was not a twinkie... don't want no grease in my model).

    Before that I used a piece of plastic from a toy box, but it was not suitable since it doesn't bend.

    I liked Bob's suggestion. I'll try it myself.

    Attached Files:

  5. Dnlgtr

    Dnlgtr Member

    Another option from the hobby shop. If they carry sheet plastic (Evergreen/Plastruct) look for their clear sheets.[styrene,acrylic,butyl,etc]

    I have Evergreen brand in both .01 inch and .005 inch thicknesses. both will curve easily. But the .005 is best for that.
    For colored glass. what about clear report covers?? I have them in red,blue,yellow and orange to name a few.
  6. Shin_kazama

    Shin_kazama Member

    i want to window my next AXM shuttle built...

    what other alternative if i dont have "crystal clear"?
  7. Elliott

    Elliott Senior Member

    Dilute white glue......
  8. bulboy

    bulboy New Member

    crystal Klear

    It is floor wax polish that exists in many names throughout the world. It is produced by Johnsons and to save money go to the local supermarket. I bought mine in Tesco - UK for less than 3 pounds - half a litre that is. should last for life if the wife does not find it. It is widely used by plastic modellers for glazing and also for the magic of making the clear parts even clearer (just dip it and let it dry). Also as clear gloss coat on plastic models works a treat.
    and lastly of course you can wax the floor.:thumb:
  9. sakrison

    sakrison Member

    I scrounge plastic film from all kinds of products. One of the most useful has been report covers--these are clear (or tinted) plastic 11"x17" sheets folded in half with a plastic clip to bind a document. For a buck or two, you can get enough clear or tinted plastic for a couple dozen kits. It's thinner and more flexible than transparency sheets. I use a rubber-based cement, like Weldbond or Aileene's "shiny surface glue," to bond it to paper.

Share This Page