How do you decide?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by JRSeese, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

I never thought I would be faced with this dilemma! There are so many models to choose from I don't know what to buy next!

What do you considering when buying a model? Say you want to buy a WWI plane, or a battleship model. What makes one stand out from the pack to earn your hard-earned simoleans?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I love racecars and trucks, and helicopters.
    those i buy first, all the others i buy are just what i like

that is how i decide :D:D:D

3. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Ah, but what if there were 6 racecar models and you only had $ for one? I guess if they are different enough one will stand out as a favorite

As a sole source of income for a family of four, my hobby budget is tight. I would like to try a ship model, a liner or a military vessel (not ready for the riggers yet) but they all look very similar

I guess I will just close my eyes and pick!

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Take it from one who knows, the problem does not go away when the kids do....still exists the quandary of too many models, too little money. Do as I do---put the kits on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, and draw one out. My last kit purchase was six and seven-eighths.
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

LOL Darwin, very nice! Lets see some pics of the 6 7/8th!

For me, it is difficult to decide. If it has wings, I want one. As I build
    small scale (1/100 to 1/200), the electronic versions are more for me.
    While I could scan the larger models in, I have found it to be more
    economic to get the d/l versions. I get more kits for less money. And
    no shipping or tax. So, the hard choice is not so much in the purchases,
    but in which to build next!

As I am the sole provider for a family of four as well, cost considerations
    was a factor for me in making the pilgrimmage from plastic to paper. (Hey son, pickup those grades or that will be a career question.) That and the fact I can complete a model in 6 days instead of 6 months. And for the
    closet modeller, its easier to sneak them in the house than the plastic
    kit boxes!

6. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

Selection criteria

I agree, It IS hard to decide what to buy. I generally use these factors to decide.

1: What scale is it? This effects the final size of the model and the individual pieces used to construct it. I like big models, within reason of course, because I'm not as dexterous and sharp sighted as I used to be.

2: How complex/challenging is the model? This effects how good the model will look when it's finished and how long it takes to complete. This might be good or bad... if a model takes a long time to build interest can wan and it never gets finished. A quick build can do wonders for boosting the spirit tho...Hey I actually finished something! A really complex model gives good build time per dollar value.

3: How good is the publishers reputation/quality? Checking up on the various paper-model forums for reviews and builders photos helps a lot. Reading about the difficulties encountered by someone else lets me know if a model is beyond my skill level.

4: Is there an emotional twinge? Some subjects just grab my attention. Case in point...those Japanese battleships like the FUSO with the towering superstructure....those look just plain cool to me and are definitely on my to do list. Same with armor models with intricate paint schemes.

5: Does it fit a theme? It's neat to have a collection of models that fit a theme like military railroad items, WWII small ships, whatever. This also helps to weed out impulse buys, if does not fit the theme maybe it should not be purchased....I still have a hard time using this criteria but I'm working on it!

6: How is the model designed? This ties in somewhat with #3, maybe you like modles that use formers and butt joints, or maybe you prefer lap joints. Egg-crate vs. box structure for ship kits.

7: Freebies. There are great free models out there.

Have fun

7. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Try out the vast selection of FREE models

Hey just a note, but I think you might be surprised how many FREE
    models are available on the net. I have collected over 100
    top quality free models from surf searching, (ALL of which
    I intend to build! -7 down in 2 months, 93 to go LOL)

All flavors of subject matter as well. I am a auto/truck/aircraft guy,
    and have found some excellent examples out there.
    Tip: Try Iceberg, they have an unbelievable link list!

Anouther great aircraft site is fiddlersgreen. Chip offers
    some great samples.

Then you can cut your teeth on some freebies before
    dropping so much cash. ( I am on a shoestring budget too,
    so I am shooting for maximum milage on my $$$) :wink:

8. barry

barry Active Member

The best freebie ships are at Digital Navy try the mine sweeper.

9. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Good advice all and a spirited discussion! Everyone comes out on Saturday I guess. Bugbrains, special thanks to you for the extensive response.

I'd build my free models I downloaded if I had a decent printer :cry:

All said, it's a rather nice problem to have - I'm so glad I discovered the paper modelling community and the various sources of excellent models.

10. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

what next?

for me it is not a question of building but designing. i have addressed the issue of consumer demand with a "model poll" at my site. for the most part it lists models not available in the scale i design in (1/72) or models not available at all. my experience has been that if you try to shrink or enlarge models by more than 20 percent, you can get distortion which can complicate assembly. there are exceptions...
    despite poll results, i usually design what my regular clientele demands or i am particularly inspired by a personal narrative.
    to whit:
    "headhunters", "firebirds", and "dustoff" inspire a huey.
    "brazen chariots" inspires a m3 stuart.
    "the ravens" inspires an ov10 bronco.
    "heart of darkness" inspires a PBR.
    there are too many to list but good books are noted on a bibliography page at my site.
    when i design and build such models i feel i am honoring the individuals which inspired the model as well as those which gave "life's full measure" , regardless of ideology.
    some fun model building gets done as well.
    my models are not free but very reasonably priced. i usually include some extras.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.