How do you decide what tobuild next?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Kevin G, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Really have 2 questions but ill get to the other one in a minute.

Just like the title states, how do you decide what your next build is going to be?
    I have a VERY small pile of models I have purchased and a VERY full hard drive of models I have downloaded for free. When it comes time to build something I have a very hard time deciding what to build. Although there is one model in my pile that I want to build more than any other model I have I don't think I have the skill for it yet so I always pass it over. Then it takes me ages to figure out what to build.
    Just wondering how the rest of you go about the decision.

Second question. When I build a model I always send a thank you note to the designer if I can find a way to contact them. It has occured to me that I should probably be doing this when I download them instead of after I build them so that the designer will be properly thanked even if I never get around to building it.
    So how do you tell a designer thanks for the model but i have not built it and probably never will get that far down the pile to build it?
    I honestly want to thank every designer that I get a model from but I would hate for that thanks to be ruined by not having a build pic or some better comment on the kit than "looks great, hope I live long enough to get around to building it!"
    All replies are welcome and I look forward to them.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'll answer the second question first. I don't actually say "thank you" to the designer (except in my heart...) and I don't think a lot of people do. But after thinking about this question I realised it's absolutely a necessary thing to do because it gives the designer the power to design his/her next model. --So the next time I build something I'll send a "thank you" message to the designer with some build pics:).

As for deciding what to build next, I'll just randomly print off a model and build it...
  3. josve

josve Active Member

I just pick the next on my list :)
    Usually I have made a list for my next 4-5 models to come.
    The list might change during new models coming in my mail, but so far I have done what I decided to.

I have only built preprinted models so far,so I'm not sure if it's some kind of common thing to say thanks to the designer when it comes to those kits.
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

I like to choose the kit by colour, usually using an opposite of what I just finished (or thrown!) Sometimes, on larger models I will throw in a little model in the middle because the colour gets on my nerves.
    As for thanking the designers, well up til recently I haven't, except for Jan Rukr, ajnd the guy who designed the Hako 'They Might Be Giants' Johns.
    But from now, everytime I download, and there is an option to contact the designer I will
  5. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I usually try to pick something different or that I just like the looks of. Occasionally it is an uncontrolled compulsion (its a disease I tell ya).

As far as thanking the designer, I think for freebees that is an excellent idea. For commercial models - nothing says thank-you like cash $ :twisted: $.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

I usually build whatever my current peaked interst is.having said that I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at one time. Like now I am building moonproject's 32nd scale apollo-soyuz, jaybats viper mk VII, and getting ready to start a lunar lander. i believe the best way to thank a designer is to make sure they get the propper credit for the kit. -ie: when posting etc letting people know who the kit came from.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanking is important, however if their contact info isnt on the model I downloaded a year ago, I have no idea who designed it or where I got it....

As to what to build next, thats easy - whatever my kids feel like seeing me build next. Luckily they are patient..... sometimes..... :D
  8. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

As for thanking designers: I have been remiss in that area. I've been, like many, a greedy little downloader, grabbing everything I could and stuffing it into my huge e-collection of internet freebies (plus a host of paid dls as well). What I do is thank the designer after the build is complete, and try to send them a photo or two (or as you indicate, publicize their work on a forum post). I have designed a few models, on a site that has over 50,000 hits, so I'm glad not everyone has thanks me after downloading. BUT, I love it when I see a picture of the models once they're built. That's a great little heart warmer, to be sure.

As for what to build next: I do a bit of everything. I often have more than one on the go. I print out quite a few, but not all...that's one rate limiter right there. Then I balance complex with simpler ones, also bigger and littler ones. Then I select from the many many I have already cut out and are sitting waiting for assembly in their baggies in folders on my shelves. I commute by ferry boat, so with my quiet sitting around and waiting, I do a lot of cutting out (after proper labelling them on the backs) and edging and storing of model parts in ziplock baggies before I get around to them. I have at least a dozen cool, exciting paper models I really want to build all cut out edged, and in baggies, just waiting for me to score, fold and assemble them. Trouble is, I visit a website like this, see something amazing, and get drawn off course by the next 'shiney object', just like a magpie. Consequently, my next-to-build list is constantly shifting. Ultimately, this is supposed to be a fun hobby, so just go with whatever you feel like making next.
  9. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Some times I'll be watching TV, and see a plane that will get me inspired to build a model of it. So if I happen to have a model of it, I'll print it out and build it. If I don't have a model of it, I'll fix that, then build it.

A lot of the designers who's models I build are members of this forum, so I find it easy to offer thanks through here. Of course, I haven't built a lot of non Fiddlersgreen models recently, since I started designing for them. I finish one, then move on to the next.

I do look forward to building Willja's Airwolf. My absolute favorite Helicopter ever.
  10. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

I've downloaded the Free Mig 17 from and i've even asked for enlarged versions of it which he was to happy to help with.
    I thanked Gabriel and became friends. I started to help him in setting up the layout of the Me-109 (for sale on his web site) instructions set.

I'm sure there is a lot of designers out there that would like help in a certain way.... by that means you can say much more than "Thank you"
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

To pick the next model, I dig through my electronic "pile of models" and see what strikes my fancy.

But, I too am generall remiss in thanking the designer, unless I know they are a member here. Usually this is because I have downloaded so many models, that by the time I build something, I forget where I got it from...
  12. sakrison

sakrison Member

"How do you decide what to build next?"

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo.....
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

A model has to be unique or it has to "move" me. Or it has to look "cool." Ideally, it is a unique, cool-looking model that moves me. Or it has to have some historical significance. My last three builds:

* EAS Agamemnon (from Jaybats) -- from "Babylon 5." I chose it because it looks cool and I've always wanted one.

* Apollo 7 CSM (from Surfduke) -- Historically significant, and it also falls into the "moved me" category because the mission commander was Wally Schirra. I had the honor of meeting him years ago.

* Proton/Breeze M (from Leo Cherkashyn) -- Historically significant, plus it looks cool.

Not sure of the next one I'll build, though.