How do I wire remote switches

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by redbarn03, Jan 4, 2005.

1. redbarn03

redbarn03 New Member

I am building an o-scale train layout for my son and I have run into a problem with the remote switches not switching correctly using the track voltage. The K-Line switches work great with the train off the track and the control throttle turned up. The directions state using a fixed voltage transformer of 12 vac to 18 vac will correct this problem. The directions are vague and I have little experience with model trains so what do I need to do to accomplish this?

2. seanm

seanm Member

If I understand your situation correctly you are trying to power the switch motors with the track current. This is a variable voltage and used to change the speed of the train. Usually the switch motors are powered by the "accessory" output of the transformer which is a FIXED voltage..... Now I do not use O scale, so things could be different. What I would do is get a seperate transformer (old train power pack) from EBay or some such place and use it for the switch motor power and your existing pack for the train power.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Which transformer are you using? If it only has 2 posts to connect the wires to, you're stuck.
    If you have more than 2 (4 is common) one will be a fixed voltage post (or one pair will be.) Unfortubately, it's different for every transformer.
  4. redbarn03

redbarn03 New Member

I have a two-post transformer. Thanks for the explanation.

5. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Fastrack remote switches are amazing, the only wire you have is the remote.