How do I seperate an Athearn....

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
C44-9W Chassis from the body? I know how to do it on a dummy loco but the powered ones have plastic "fillers?" in the 4 holes on the bottom of the fuel tank. On the dummy locos these holes are empty.

How do I remove the chassis from the body on powered Athearn engines?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks for the page Larry, but no use. I have the directions and I read the short description on howto remove the body from chassis but it doesn't seem to work on the powered units:curse: :curse:

Anyone else have an idea?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I have this unit. you unscrew the couplers and remove them. then you squeeze the body in. The tabs in the center of the shell should disengage from the chassis. You can also use a screw driver to help some of the tabs loose. just make sure you apply pressure inwards at each tab location.

they should be long and towards the fuel tank.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
The plastic fillers are actually the plastic mounts for the engine's motor. I have these on my SD45 and on my two SD40-2's. You unscrew the screws at the couplers and slide them out through the ends. Then you can be able to remove the shell.:thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks, I went and played with it some more. I got it :D

Turns out that the 4 tabs that hold the body to the chassis were just being stubern.:eek:ops: After I struck a small flathead screw driver and pushed them aside, it came right off.

Now I know what those little white pins are on the bottom of the fuel tank are too after I removed them and saw that they were exactly what you said they were Sean.:thumb:

Thanks for all your guys help:D :D