How do I make these in N scale?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by csxengineer, Dec 28, 2004.

1. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

These pipe loads. Which evergreen/plastruct tube is correct size, and what is best paint to match? As for the TTZX cars, anybody have these in N, and what is a minimum radius for em?

Attached Files:

2. 70Runner

70Runner Member

I've seen a color close to that at the hobby store, I would just get the color that looks close. Try this link for flat cars.
  3. as for something of about the right size, Coffee Stirs would probably work, if not, try clipped straws
  4. belg

belg Member

Screwy squirrel is right I have used the tiny straws for stirring coffee yea that's it coffee,that's were they came from. I then took sewing thread and wrapped them and or thin pin stripping tape to simulate metal banding. Pat
  5. Blake

Blake Member

The problem I have found with straws is that they are made of polypropelyene and don't hold paint very well.
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I would try to find some small straws too and paint them the right color. It might be a cheap way to make the loads yourself!
  7. Blake

Blake Member

I think you could make that color by mixing white into some Penn Central green.
  8. joe ramirez

joe ramirez Member

if you are not caring of scale size then I would use toothpics, cut the pointed ends off and paint. If you do care about scale size then go to the hobby store train or other and get some hollow steel tubing and paint. good luck
    Joe in Houston
  9. belg

belg Member

I primed mine with a spray can and then brush painted over that with black pollyscale and have had no trouble with them. One thing I would recomend is to insert something straight and solid inside one of the middle straws slightly shorter so you dont see it to help keep them straight and true . Pat