1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

How do I make a SMOKE UNIT

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by amatthews, Feb 23, 2006.

1. amatthews

amatthews New Member

Hello All,

My soninlaw is building a setup for his three sons (My grandsons Da!).
    He wants to build several smoke units, can anyone help me ?

Allen
  2. shortliner

shortliner Member

Not a thing to mess with - send him out to buy them ready made (Seuthe make them amongst others) - unless hes really planning to hold a FIRE SALE!
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Do you wish them for building or for engines ?
  4. amatthews

amatthews New Member

For Buildings
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Ok you have several ways to do this.
    1. buy smoke units from either MTH or Lionel. They should be about $50.00 each which includes the housing, smoke unit and fan.

2. you can try converting the Glade 'Wsip' air freashener mounted inside your building. Replace the sented oil with smoke fluid. They are about $9.00 each

3. There is a unit made for adding smoke to building that uses water. I tried to find one of thier adds and couldn't yet. They are about $80.00 each if I remember correctly.

tom
  6. Danny

Danny Member

The most eficient smoke unit I have found is the Aristocraft #29311 Fan Driven Unit which you can get from St Aubins for $US25.89, I have fitted this to several locomotives including my Bachmann 2-8-0 Conny.
  7. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

burn insence cones inside of the buildiengs to smoke, remember to place the cone on non combustable ceramic tiles inside of the smokimg builings,, so far so good for me
  8. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

You can purchase the Seuth Smoke units from Hartland Locomotive Works www.H-L-W.com Last time I ordered them they were around $20.00 each.
  9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

If you choose a Seuth Smoke unit, be sure to use smoke fluid for a Seuth unit. Not all (most) smoke fluid will work in a Seuth unit.

:wave: