How do I lay track into cement?

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Hello all, I am somewhat preplexed as how to lay my code 100 track and recess it into a concrete apron in front of my Walthers packing house, I was thinking of mounting the building on foam board and allowing it to act as the poured concrete area where the trucks back up to the dock.

So do I just pull off X amount of ties from the flex track and then just cut two grooves intot he foam board is that the best way to do it?

Any help PLEASE...before I goof it up.

TN Trainman

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I would lay the track- then make some type of form around the area that you would like to have concrete in. mix up some plaster and poor into the form- smooth out the top and then run a old set of old trucks down the track to make the groves in the plaster before it sets up. After it is set you can sand to make smooth. If you remove all of the ties, you will have a hard time getting the rails to stay in gauge.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The other method is to use styrene to make the concrete. Since code 100 rail is 100 thousands of an inch high (if I remember what the 100 stood for), get 80 thousands of an inch thick styrene. Cut a piece or pieces to fit between the rails and other strips to fill the area beside the warehouse and as far out from the warehuse as you want the concrete to go.