How do I laminate?

kbkline

OK I'm very new to this hobby and I've seen a lot of stuff being said about laminating. What do you use and how do you use it? I'm assuming that after the model is put together you laminate the whole thing but what do you use or am I wrong about the timing of the laminating part? I'm making my first model of the Space-X Dragon capsule and then I'll be working on the rocket and capsule combo.

Bhelliom

Laminating means to glue multiple layers of cardstock together. Most commonly to make thicker formers snd/or frame pieces. You rough cut a part out, then glue 2 or more additional pieces of scrap to it, then let dry. Once the piece has dried thoroughly, cut out the finished outline.

At least, thats how I do it.

Scott K.

Rogerio Silva

After what Bhelliom wrote, I say: you can laminate some papers to make them thicker and stronger. You can laminate them to alluminum foil to give the paper that metallic look (try not to ripple it).
After the model is built, there are many ways to make it harder. Many people here use (since you're in USA) FUTURA/FUTURE liquid, acrylic floor wax. I haven't personally tried liquid wax yet, but I'll sure give it a try, as soon as I get back to my building threads.
I hope all those posts helped!

silveroxide

Many of my build threads have lamination techniques. At the moment, I am building the Eldar Wave Serpent. I have already started to laminate some of the pieces. Check out my threads and they may help you in the lamination department. I do tend to laminate heavily and once the piece has the depth that I need, I treat it like sheet styrene. Enjoy and see you around the forum.