How did that happen?

cpr_paul

Jul 2, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
While purchasing renovation materials for the new house I somehow ended up with about 10 extra sheets of 1" foam board insulation and some 1/2" plywood sheets.

"Gee dear, I don't know how my calculations could have been so off" :D

I don't think I fooled her for a second.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Paul:
What a fortuitous turn of events. ;) It is always best not to run out of materials when undertaking a major project. Having a use for left over materials is a very responsible way to make the best out of the situation. You wouldn't happen to have any left over 1x3's, 12 or 14 gauge wire, or foam compatible adhesive left over as well??? ;)

Eric

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by pomperaugrr
Paul:
What a fortuitous turn of events. ;) It is always best not to run out of materials when undertaking a major project. Having a use for left over materials is a very responsible way to make the best out of the situation. You wouldn't happen to have any left over 1x3's, 12 or 14 gauge wire, or foam compatible adhesive left over as well??? ;)

Eric

There's a great idea Paul!! LOL Never return anything to the store, or throw it out - If there's ANY chance you might need it in the future. ..... for "anything" ROFL "Recycling is good!" :D :D :D

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Any chance of telling her the supplier made a mistake on the quantities - and forgot to charge you?

Gasp, a half truth! :eek: I'd just play up how "efficiently" the work was done, resulting in not wasting materials. Since the materials are here anyway, why not put them to use.
Ok, that didn't pass the straight face or complete honesty test either...;)

Eric

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Lets face it, Paul:

a) You made a calculation mistake :eek: (oh well, a little one, but just the same :rolleyes: )
b) The material is here, if you want it or not :(

soooo...

a) You are environmentally concious! :)
b) Therefore that stuff must not be thrown away :eek:
c) So you should put it to good use... mmmhhh??? :confused:
d) WHY NOT USE IT ON THE LAYOUT??? :D

Therefore...

Your little mistake turns into two big advantages: You've done something for the environment - and you've done something for the family life (you're staying more at home etc. etc.) :cool:

Ron :p

cpr_paul

Jul 2, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think the huge smile one my face as I told my wife that I could use the foam somewhere else kinda gave my whole ploy away.

I hope to get layout base materials when I calculate what I'll need to do the framing in the basement ;)

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Re: Could that be any different than

Originally posted by jawatkins
a woman going shopping and buying something that she absolutely did not need "because it was on sale"????

ROFL!!:D :D :eek: :eek: :D :D

That's a Pet Peeve of mine! :)

Me: but Why did you buy that???

Wife: it was on sale!

Me: But but but it was $35.00

Wife: Yeah, but it was 20% off

Me: ok then, you saved about $4.00 - but to save 4 you spent 35!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ROFL - actually - it happens more with "me" being the buyer - but I swear - it ONLY happens with layout supplies and rolling stock. :rolleyes:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Now lets see, Hmmmm -10 extra sheets of 1" foam board insulation and some 1/2" plywood sheets just happened to be spare. So, lets use it up somehow, I know, --- A new Model Railroad -- hehehe

Shamus

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Funny,...

...same thing sorta happened to me not too long ago. Of course nothing quite like your experience. I wanted a set of Reading FA-1s. Some how I ended up with two sets :)D)? Imagine my cha"grin".

Mark

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I being the contractor that my wife uses anytime she needs anything done to her 1:1 scale structure ( ;) ), said contractor reserves the right to keep any excess materials for his own use the cost of said materials being deducted from the agreed-upon labor costs, in this case, $0.00, (pause for breath)
Soooo, it looks like to me my wife is coming out ahead on the deal, right?
RIGHT!
:D ;) :p :D