How complex do you build?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by thewoodengraver, Nov 7, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I'm curious how many parts or pages worth of parts you build now. I guess my answers are pretty broad but it may give me a good idea.

Please state in text how many actual parts if you want.
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Depends on the model...

If I actually counted the parts on the Fortezza Shuttle, I'd stop building it... :wink:
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Bout a hundred little pieces crammed on to 5 pages.
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I like model projects with lots of detail, like the U-Don Lunar Module, the Fortezza Space Shuttle models, the Delta 7 Studios Gemini models or the CardIn Space Redstone-Mercury Rocket. More than a hundred parts, sometimes two hundred.

I look forward to the gigantic LUT crawler project, presented by Thomas Pleiner at - it looks like a real challenge.

Card modelling is great fun and you get to learn a lot.

Bengt :grin:
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Typically 1-5 but hope to move up sometime to more complex stuff. YOu can get a lot of stuff on 5 pages though. For those of you that built things with more than 5 pages mind pointing out what it was? :) Maybe a quick photo too :)
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm with ekuth and Bengt - I like a lot of detail, even though I'm pretty new at this. I'm looking forward to trying some Halinski WWII stuff as I've heard the fit is good and there's lots of juicy good detail!

7. 46rob

46rob Member

I like detail--but I get bored with building multilples of an item. Last time I built a twin row radial engine--I almost quit the project---BORING--and once it was installed and the cowls added--it's practically invisible. Likewise minute cockpit detail. So my designs reflect my latest has rudimentary cockpit detail, Fairly detailed landing gear, etc....I don't like to cram parts onto a page--they get lost,,,hard to find, end up opposing the paper's grain, etc. Current project will be four or five pages long in 1-48 scale.....a large twin engined fighter.
  8. cbg

cbg Member

My scale of choice at the moment is 1/50, and most of the free downloads and kits I have tip in at 100 parts/pieces or so max. At my current experience level, that's plenty. . .

9. shrike

shrike Guest

I'm assuming A4/Letter sized pages or the equivalent. The FLY PZL23 Karas that is my current project (and finally starting to be airplane shaped after many detail subassemblies) is on A3.
    I counted 250+ parts for the engine, then decided that I didnt want to know how many total. Further down the queue is a Los bomber that has two f the same engines
  10. Alcides

Alcides Member

This is a moving target to me. I'm building 2 pages now, but my next project has 5 pages and "my big project" which I'm starting too is 20 pages.

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Alcides, whats your 20 pager? I find they are usually ships of some sort....
  12. tino

tino Member

Well my He111 had about 20pages A4 of parts and its just 69cm of span and 50cm long...
    You should find one first look review here in
  13. hpept

hpept Member

There's a slight difference between what i CAN do, and what i LIKE to do.
    For the CAN, Prof. Fortezza Space Shuttle is a guarantee of complex model; for the LIKE, well, i get bored very soon, expecially if the model has repetitive parts (a car with four identical wheels is already on the borderline for what i consider boring) and the model will stay there in the corner until the judgement day (day in which i judge if keep or trash). I like quick projects with a small amount of pages (typically 2 to 5 pages). This is good also to save precious ink and paper... :grin:
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Spruance has 18 pages and counting but this is due to size not complexity the spine, keel plate and decks take up 12 pages of A4
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

This is EXACTLY what happens to me - I get bored with repetitive parts, so I leave it aside for a while and move on to a new and exciting model.

I also need time to think about smart solutions to smalls problems, often involving scratch-building individual parts or cutting out windows with the intention of building detailed interiors.
    I guess this is part of the reason why so many of my projects are half-finished.

Still, it´s fun to discover new models and new aspects of the card modelling art.

Bengt :grin:
  16. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I guess I go more on subject and if it appeals to me rather than on how many pages. The Sleeping Beauty Castle from Disney Experience had around 41 pages of parts. Many of the pages only had a few parts, but some had a bunch. SpaceShipOne had a few pages of parts too. Most of the hakos only have one page. Some one page models I have looked at and decided not build had so many itty bitty parts crammed on the page that it turned me away. It all depends on if I really, really want to build the model.:)
  17. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

How many pages

I realize I am probably in the minority here, but I can't resist.
    I like models that are big on graphic, but smaller on part count.
    1-5 pages is way plenty. I like to complete a model in a brief time window, or I lose intrest. (Short attention span in my day, now they like to call it ADD)
    Just my 1.5 cents
  18. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I am particular to one page or very simple models right now. As you may know, I like them tiny. I like the feeling that I have something no one else has. You all may have the same models, but mine are different.

I have yet to build a model well. I can build them tiny, but not well. I am working on that. I have only recently started scoring my models. I used to only fold them with a straightedge.

I would like to graduate to more complex models when I am confident that I can build them well. I cannot see taking 6 months to build a model that looks like a kitty toy.

So, for now, I will do simple...only, this big.
  19. Alcides

Alcides Member

Well, No. This is a plane !!! It's a big plane. :twisted:
    Wait for the build thread in a couple of weeks.:wink:

I have to finish the stubo first. The stubo is near to complete but I don't have time to update in the thread. :cry:
  20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Let me help you out there. My rough count showed about 320. there, feel better? :grin: