how 'bout some help for a newbie?!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by jveto, Oct 28, 2003.

1. jveto

jveto New Member

I'm new to the hobbie, and need some help. I've got an o/o-27 scale train, and would like to run it around the TOP of my son's room, on an elevated track that is attatched to the wall (about 20" below the ceiling). I cant find any helpful info on how to biuld, specs, etc. I've seen this done at a local restaurant and several pictures in mags, but now that I want to do it for myself I cant find any info.
    Please help if you can, very much appreciated!!:)
  2. billk

billk Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge!

You might think about putting up shelves, using readily available brackets, etc. They wouldn't have to be more than 8-12 in. wide, except at the corners where you would need something triangular (RR's don't turn square corners!)

Wiring could just be run along the rear of the shelf, and depending on the viewing angle might not have to be disguised.

Make sure the tracks are far enough away from the front edge so that the chances of disaster, i.e. a plummet to the floor, are minimized when derailments occur.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Welcome to the-gauge Jveto.

As mentioned, there are decrotive wood shelf brackets that can be used for mounting a shelf around the room. There is also a comercial shelf system that has the corner sections for the different radius tracks. If you haven't looked in Classic Toy Trains do so. IIRC there was an add for that system.

Greg Elems
  4. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Firstly, a big hearty welcome to the Gauge, Jveto!

I also plan (eventually) to run some Lionel stuff around the walls. I've seen pictures of simple shelf systems to ceiling hung systems. If I dig anything up, I'll post it.

By the way, did you see this thread?

They haven't any O27, and their prices are crippling, but the ideas!!
  5. Dougrl

Dougrl New Member

Hi Jveto and welcome to the Gauge. If you go to the search page and type in Suspended track you might find some ideas that might be of a help to you. I spent a lot of time looking and asking and checking prices before I built this for my G scale system. Cheers Doug.
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

The Bi-Lo grocery store near me has a G gauge train suspended over it's entire check out area. They use 1/2 inch or so PVC pipe to make a ladder and then use aircraft cable every 5 feet or so to run up to suport at the "ceiling". This gives a very open look to the system as opposed to a solid wood shelf.

Regards, and welcome to The Gauge,
  7. Anozira RR

Anozira RR New Member

JVETO --
    Here is a system to consider RE. roadbed/ladder. Check out this site. It's the answer to all outdoor RR prayers and is adaptable to indoor use as you propose.
    I purchased my plastic (deck use) lumber at Lowes. (90% recycled plastic and 10% sawdust) The stuff ripped on my table saw nicer than real wood. I run O so I simply modified what Bill Logan describes in the web address above to suit my scale. One might consider using conventional shelf brackets fastened to wall stud spacing of 16" on center.
    I presented the near ceiling idea to my wife. When I expanded the idea (I got too excited about the idea) to include track passage from room to room via holes cut through the walls --- WELL, need I go on . . . .? That's why the RR is relegated to the back yard. :D