How big is yours?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tyson Rayles, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

How big is your layout or your future layout that you are planning. Size is for layout only, does not include aisleways, workbench areas, lounge areas etc.
  2. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Tyson, Kinda hard to calculate the SF as the darn thing is kinda "freeform"....what I did was subtract the work area from the building size (20X22)...I never was no math whiz anyway:D :D :D
  3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Mine is in the planning stages but will be about 100 sq. ft.

:D Val
  4. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

while it takes up about 180 sq. ft. of space, the running part is about 120 sq. ft.
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I guess mine will weigh in at a little under 200 sf. Is bigger better?
  6. Gardenrrguy

Gardenrrguy Member

:D Ummmm. No place to vote for Square Yards or Acres?
    What's a Garden Guy to do?
  7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Gardenrrguy you can go with the over 2,000 sq. ft. I guess.
  8. Topo

Topo Member

Sorry guys, I'm a disaster calculating in square feet...:rolleyes:

My (still-in-the-future) layout will be around 15/20 square meters.
  9. clumber

clumber New Member

10. TerryR

TerryR Member

A square meter is close to 10 square feet. That puts you in the 150-200 range.
  11. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

I'm still in the planning stage. As for the space, well, its big. When we moved into the new digs, I scored almost the entire basement:cool:.
    It's a lot of space, and i'm another one who is not a wiz at calclating space, however, it has the following measurements: 25ft along the south side, 33ft along the west side, a staggered wall on the north side as follows: 12ft, 2ft inward, 9ft, 2ft inward and 18ft, and 18ft on the east side.
    There is a stair well, north to south going up, which takes up 4 x 13 ft and is 12 1/2 ft from the west side, however, the back side, while walled in is open in the back and has headspace extending 5ft that track can go through, so that the space eaten up by the stair well is closer to 4ft x 7ft.
    Maybe some helpful soul can have a try at figuring it out for me:D

12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Mine varies, if half the group is hung over and don't show up, the layout is small, if everyone shows up with their modules, the layout is large!:D :D :D
  13. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

5501 square inches, rounded off (makes it sound bigger??)
    Anyway, it's all I can handle right now!!
    :D :D :D
  14. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I think I'm just over 100 sq ft. I have a 16x16 room, but the layout takes only 2 feet from the wall and there's an interruption.
    We managed to get 25 to 30 guys in the middle for a meeting. :rolleyes:
  15. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

That's a rather...

...personal question.

According to her- it's way to big ('magine) but when I look at it- I could use another inch.

Mark :D
  16. Topo

Topo Member

Thanks, Terry! ;)
  17. Ty Rayles

Ty Rayles Member

I'll have to say I'm suprised at how high the precentage of 100 sq. ft. or less is. I would have never guessed that only a third are at 101 sq. ft. or higher and that the leading category would be less that 50 sq. ft. !
  18. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Tyson, Me too. I was surprized to see that .....perhaps smaller living space accounts for it or maybe more people are into "detail" than are into mainline operation than I realized. Guess I've always been lucky to have all the space I wanted to suit my interest, but that's not saying that I haven't had to make some compromises. But now that I think about it you can pack a lot of railroad in a 10x10 ft space.:)

As for mine....Some say... "Its too big"...Others say..."Its too small"...But I say...."It suits me just fine":D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  19. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

Tyson and three! lol For once I'm glad to be in the majority, but then again I didn't decide the size of my layout, dad did. I know if I was planning a new layout I would go bigger.

Course then maybe those folks with the bigger layouts are probably just too busy working on them to vote?
  20. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

According to my HO scale ruler its.....oh you mean real square feet.
    I'll be right back!