How about these trucks?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Gary S., Nov 22, 2006.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Too much white highlight?

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
    • 03.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
    • 011.jpg
      File size:
      64.6 KB
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I think it looks good. You might try highlighting with a slightly darker, or dustier colour and see how that turns out.

You've given us some nice close-ups, but how does it look following the "three-foot rule"? That's usually the standard I use ;) :D

3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Here are a couple from further away. I agree that a less white more rusty drybushing may be good.

Attached Files:

• 04.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
    • 05.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
  4. MasonJar

That is one well-used tanker!! :thumb::thumb:

5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I think one of my problems is that I have been looking at the prototype of today and trying to make my cars look like them. And it seems that a lot of todays stuff is really dirty and beat up. I checked out the fallen flags site as you suggested, but as you mentioned it is pretty slow to load.

Did the RRs in the 1960s keep their stuff looking better?
  6. ejen34

ejen34 Member

Just what I have been looking for :thumb: I have a set of black Athearn tankers I need to weather, thanks for the heads up :thumb:
  7. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

okay, one more tanker just because I have a photo:

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      File size:
      63.1 KB
  8. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I think a lot of that depends on the individual RR. I know that the Nickel Plate used to keep their equipment pretty clean, especially cabooses. You have to keep in mind that a lot of cars had been around since the 40's when production was at its they're going to have wear and tear regardless of how clean they were kept.

Also, I've said it before, but I think the most important thing is variety. If all your cars are beaten beyond recognition, it wouldn't look very realistic. The same goes for a bunch of well maintained ones. You need different degrees of weathering to show that some cars are older vs. some that are newer or better taken care of.
  9. ejen34

ejen34 Member

Very good point Tony, good common sense is important, something I lack many times. My mother in-law, back in 1974, when I graduated from College said I was full of BS with no CS (common sense) :p she has always known me well :thumb:
  10. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I am trying to keep the "variety" aspect in the weathering, but it is very easy to get in a rut and do the same thing to multiple cars. I will attempt to make my next batch a little newer and cleaner.
  11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I think that those look great, and the highlighting looks well done. Nice Job Gary:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. viperman

viperman Active Member

They do look very nice, but a little less white and more rust highlighting would look better IMO. Then again, I haven't even started any type of weathering myself yet
  13. KCS

KCS Member

Looks good. That GATX being a 10,000g Proto 2000. I'v built so many of thos it's not ven funny. A couple hundred at least because other club member's bought the but would rather have a young steady hand assmble them.
  14. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Yep, Proto 2K... great detail and makes a really nice looking piece. When I first got into the hobby a year ago, I thought I wanted my rolling stock to be intricately detailed. But then I discovered that the P2K kits, while being reasonably priced, can be darned time consuming to build. If you noticed, that tank car in the photo isn't even completely built = there are a few detail items left off!

Now I've decided that my rolling stock is probably gonna take some abuse from the 0-5-0 switcher, so I quickly became fond of the molded on detail found on some of the "lower end" products.
  15. MasonJar

Those P2K tankers are indeed time consuming. However, they have released a "time saver" version, where many of the sub assemblies are done (tank dome, wheel sets, but most notably the whole underframe :thumb: ). This version of the kit can go together in as little as 45 minutes. I have relegated my "non-time saver" versions to the bottom of the build pile... :D

16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I've seen those, and they do seem to be the way to go for ease of construction. As far as detail goes, the P2Ks are great items. For me though, I can just see myself knocking off all the grab irons and such every time I have to touch them. For that reason, The Athearn and similar brand stuff seems to fit the bill for me and I am satisfied with their level of detail. Plus, if I dropped one of the Athearn cars on the floor and destroyed it, I wouldn't be crying pitifully about it, on the other hand, if it was a P2K, I'd have big ol' sobby tears for sure.

But it is funny... I've had a few of the lower end cars that I bought off the bargain bin or at train shows for cheap, and they had busted off steps or grab irons or whatever, and I have enjoyed fixing them up with brass wire and such, so to a certain extent I guess I do like fiddling around with the itty bitty detail parts.
  17. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Gary - Really nice job on those cars! (Disclaimer: By no means am I to be considered an expert on weathering)...But allow me to suggest a slight amount of chalk on the trucks to tone down the white highlight. I have been using chalk for my weathering and found that some chalk dust even when applied over a painted or distresses surface, brings out not only the suface details but tones down some paint lines. I bought a small chalk kit of earth tones from Target if I remember right, and they're working out really well. On your trucks, I'd suggest some rust, grey, and black coloring. Some of the best (IMHO) colors to use on silver are white and yellow too. All in all, I really like the overall effect of your weathering. It looks used but not too abused. Nice job!!!