How about a video?

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
What do you guys think about starting a "Chain VHS Video? I was thinking that I wanted a VHS tape of Northlandz and wouldn't it be nice to have some footage of all the different layouts--and I mean "exclusively" trains and layouts. No bikinis or funny business as children might (my grandson) might view it. We could talk while the recorder is taping to point out things if you like. I am not interested in seeing people "per se," and it's not that I don't like you :rolleyes: but I want trains-trains-trains-layouts-layouts-layouts-mountains, scenery, tunnels, etc. Each of us could add to the VHS tape and forward it along. Whatdaya think? :thumb:

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Sorry I posted this in the wrong section. I just noticed the section on scenery,photos, and "videos." Expanding on the idea, you would video your layout with audio comments if you like--the sound of DCC sounds would be great: chuffing, bells and whistles and all that. Then when you finish taping, you forward the video tape to the next person. Now should we tape at SP or EP? Standard play or Extended play? You want me to start? Email me your mailing address. You might be disappointed in my wife's Ceramic Christmas Village with an "out-of-scale" HO train or the "blank" wooden table in my basement for a furture layout. LOL But just think---you can up scale me!

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
It sounds like a good idea but I don't have a video camera. I have a digital camera that can take 29sec long movies without sound that I have on my computer. I used a video editor to put them together and add music to them. I can not get them onto a video tape but I can burn them to a disk or email them as the 29 sec movies file size is limited on e-mail.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Interesting idea, back in 'olden days' (40's-50's) a lot of model railroaders were involved in letters that worked like that, there'd be say a 'narrow guage letter' that went around, you'd read it and add comments and forward it all to the next guy. Guess this is the "hi-tech" version of that !!

Knifeguy

Dec 29, 2003
LI, NY
Visit site
Thats a great Idea XavierJ123, but with all the different types of media out there, (8mm, VHS C, DVD, memory cards), IMO it would prove too difficult to organize. VHS type recorders are fading fast, alot of people are upgrading to newer media types of cameras.

However, I am handy with most of these types. I have a few DVD recorders, and If people wanted to send me their "clips", I could compile them onto A DVD, or a VHS tape. If there is enough interest, I would do this, we would just need to have some guide lines. Obviously I would have to do this in my spare time, so I could not handle 100's of videos. If we get a rough head count who would be interested, we could take it from there.

I have the ability, to work with the following media types: VHS, VHS C, Mini DVD Tapes, DVD, SD/MMC, Smart media, compact flash, sony memory stick, and XD. Unfortunately I can not work with 8mm/High 8. I never owned a camera with this media, and they don't make an adapter for this media to play in a VCR. I may be able to borrow one if its only a couple of tapes in that format.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Well, I have a DVD player if you can transfer VHS to DVD with sound. That would be cool. In the meantime, I am going to tape some footage on a VHS tape and then if I receive some addresses, I will parcel post it to the first address. In turn, that person will hopefully add to it and forward it to the next name on the list. Oh, by the way, my video recorder does not record directly on a full size VHS tape. It records on a smaller tape that I can place in a VHS adapter to play it in a regular VHS player/recorder--from which I can duplicate it on a full size VHS tape. I use two VHS video recorders to accomplish this.:thumb: