How about a tips-n-tricks thread

C

Catt

Got thinkin'( uh-oh:eek: ) that it might be a good idea to get a tips-n-tricks thread going to show the newbie and some of of us old timers at scratchin' & bashin' how we do certain things to our modeling projects.

Whatcha think guys???

C

Catt

Thats the general idea Tyson.

Here's a forum dedicated to scracthbuilding and kit bashing.

Seems to me like this would be a good place for some one to let the rest of us know how they do things to get that special look or how they built something ,not just show off what they built.

Like anybody got any tips on how to make styrene look like wood?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dos & Donts

Catt:
Maybe we could get a thread of things that don't work, as well.

I'll start:
Don't use standard electrical plugs & sockets for the low voltage wiring on your layout. It's interesting what happens when you put 110 volts through an Athearn diesel.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Now seriously, I think everyone got caught up in the new forum, showing what they make. I think once it settles down people will start asking questions about how things are made and the best way to do it.:eek:

Catt,
This is an awesome idea. The more ideas we can come up with, the more ideas we'll have when we read someone elses.

Styrene to Wood:
Use a file and scrape across the styrene the way you want the grain to go, then use a black ink to rub onto the styrene. Use a cloth to wipe the stain off the raised portions of the styrene, leaving the ink in the "grooves", then paint over top with your wood paint. Works great, more knots can be made with an x-acto blade. The ink will form shadows in the grooves.

Cheap sacks of sugar or flour or cement:
I roll playdoh into a long string and cut it into little pieces. Using a fork I flatten the ends a bit, and use the end of an eraser to shape the bag to look worn or full. Let dry overnight or until hard and paint.

Details for machinery:
If you are into building model ships, cars, and airplanes in any scale, never throw them away. Parts and pieces cut or as is from numerous things in these kits are perfect for machinery or airtanks, or other details.

Cardstock model warping:
I have found that by first smearing model glue all over the piece of cardstock prevents it from warping if you leave 1/8 " on either end of the piece and put books ends on that 1/8" strip...works great and allows minimal warpage even by humidity.

I'll include more tricks and tips I have used once I write them all down to remember them.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Catt, the forum is brand new and most everybody is posting what they have already done (me included, got 1 more to go in fact!). Had I known this forum was going to be here I would have taken some construction photos (and will do this in the future). I hope others far more talented then myself will also do this and include ample text to explain the construction as well as include the in progress pics. You are right in that this forum needs the devil of the details as well as the eye candy! :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
On this topic, I for one feel I can never stop learning. The number of times I have struggled with something only to find out later that a simpler better method exists. As Tyson Rayles says taking pictures of work in progress will be a big help to us all

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Re: Dos & Donts

Originally posted by 60103
Catt:
Maybe we could get a thread of things that don't work, as well.

I'll start:
Don't use standard electrical plugs & sockets for the low voltage wiring on your layout. It's interesting what happens when you put 110 volts through an Athearn diesel.

........ How does you pooter go on 12 Volts, Catt?? :p :p

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
I think the idea of a forum dedicated to tips and tricks is a damn fine one.
Tips etc do get included in many threads of most forums, but the big thing is, unless you are reading that particular thread, the tips etc don't get picked up in general.
By sticking them into their own 'slot', there will no doubt be many postings by guys showing off with all the little things they have picked up over the years and this has just got to be good for everyone.
And I for one, believe there can never be enough tips on anything.:D
Like the one I found yesterday on getting realistic coal in the right gauge, by pulling apart old respirator cartridges for the charcoal. Brilliant! Now where's my respirator.............

I have just found a trick that I never knew until today...Lego pieces are exactly the same size. It makes a perfect base for scratchbuilding closed door box cars, and passenger cars...it's a little too thick to use under a flat car, but it's a suggestion that I'm going to work on more

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's one I just picked up the other day...
I was looking through my scrap box for windows to use on my scratchbuilt N scale flour mill, & couldn't find anything that suited me.
While scrounging around in the basement, I found some of this plastic mesh tape used for joining sections of drywall (sheetrock)

Attachments

• mvc-017f.jpg
    mvc-017f.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 254

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I cut a few pieces, & painted them black, & they made pretty decent industrial-type "steel frame" windows.
This stuff is cheap, & one roll could make hundreds of windows!

Attachments

• mvc-019f.jpg
    mvc-019f.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 253

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
Now Charlie that is just downright bloody clever.

I have been using a similar cloth type stuff (actually an insect screen that we use on the sides of our tunnel houses) and soaking it in plaster to use for terrain and had even considered using the same stuff you have (bought REAL cheap thru my builder brothers) as an overlay - but would NEVER have seen windows in it - never.

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
More on styrene texturing

Another way to 'texture' woodgrain into styrene, is with a small wire wheel in your corded or cordless power drill. The brass wire wheels are less aggressive than the steel ones. Also usable are the little sanding drums, and / or "flapper wheels" that fit a drill.
For safety, I use double face foam tape to hold the styrene down to the work table, with a thin stop block at the end. ALWAYS use at least wraparound safety glasses for this job , a full face shield is even better.....the wire strands can come off./regards/Mike

OLDGATORBOB

Apr 22, 2002
GREENVILLE,SC
Visit site
STONE LIKE FINSH

I HAVE FOUND THAT I AM USING MORE OF - PLASTI=KOTE FLECK STONE SPRAYS.

THEY COME ABOUT 15 DIFFERENT COLORS AND WHEN YOU SPRAY YOU WILL DO FINE, THEY DON'T SPRAY LIKE PAINT, IT COMES OUT IN A SMALL LINE, ANYMORE I DON'T EVERN MAST ANYTHING OFF. I THINK IT IS THE BERRYS.............

I GET MINE AT THE WALMART STORE, BUT THE MORE ODD COLORS I FIND AT THE CRAFT STORE.

YOU CAN USE IT ON THE SIDE OFF MTS. OR FOR YARD WORK, EVEN PARKING LOTS.

SOMETIME IT LEAVES WHITE SPOTS, BUT AFTER IT DRYS I SPARY IT WITH A FLAT CLEAN SPRAY. AND EVERYTHING IS FINE.