How about a tin grain elevator

who_dat73

I am intrested in Scratching a tin grain elevator where would I start I have no idea what size to make it or how to start period I work in N scale and this would be my first try at scratch building

Jim Krause

Try Campbell Scale Models for the tin siding and roofing. Now that I think of it maybe they only have HO scale. Look on their website.

doctorwayne

While Campbell's siding material is primarily for HO, industrial corrugated siding comes in several variations where the corrugations are larger than what we would consider "normal". I think that if this product was scaled down to N, the corrugations would not be noticeable enough to be effective.
If you do use the Campbell siding, an easy way to apply it is to build the substructure from sheet styrene. I use .060", but you might get away with .040" in N. If you want to use individual panels, coat the strips of siding with contact cement before you cut them into the smaller widths. When the cement is dry to the touch, you can use an X-Acto knife or razor blade to cut the individual sheets: however, I find it faster to use a NWSL "Chopper"; just set the stop to the proper size, and chop away. The contact cement will remain "workable" for quite some time, so be sure to keep the individual pieces separate from one another as you cut, and don't forget to also coat the substructure with cement before applying the individual sheets. You can draw guidelines on the substructure before applying cement, if required.
Here are a couple of structures, in HO, built using these methods:

100_5411.jpg

100_5715.jpg

Wayne

shaygetz

Doc, ever time I think I got them ol' demons of envy, greed an' avarice licked, I come upon pics of your layout:eek:ops: ...sets me back three or four sermons and a Bible study. Great stuff that I would love to see in person someday.:thumb:

2slim

Hey guys, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I downloaded a free PDF kit for a out house from these folks http://www.papercreek.com/
Did the HO one and it looks great, in fact I ordered some of their 'Texture sheets' based on how good the outhouse looked. In N scale I'd worry more about appearance than 'texture' meaning if it looks like wood or brick or stone to the eye. Having the relief is nice but lost in smaller than HO scales. Just my opinion, your results may vary!!

2slim