How about a scale vehicle thread

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Catt, Oct 22, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

:mrgreen: thanks Combat!! You can see more of the pictures and the reason for the scene in my CAT Rental Module thread :mrgreen:

The road stripes are ehhhh hardly worth mentioning lol. There not very good and the keep coming up, really a pain in the but lol. Anyways there made by Builders In Scale. They were like $8.00 a piece, so the yellow strips and the white strips were around $16.00. Rather expensive in my opinion lol. They stick good when you first put them down, but as time goes on, they peel up on there own. Maybe they would work better if they were sealed down with some type of sealer sprayed or brushed on the roads? Not sure..... :confused:

The Bridge is a Rix Products Bridge. I left out the bridge pier on the bridge. The bridge is only a 2 lane bridge, and is very narrow. So thats why i am expanding it, and therefore the reason for this scene lol

The wood sides on the Boley Dump were very easy to do. Its actual scale lumber too, think its a 1x10 or 1x12. But i cut them a tad bit longer so that i could just sqeeze them in there spots and they would stay without glueing. i have done this on a few of the dump trucks, but i ran out of lumber for the rest lol. Need to get some more lol

COMBAT Member

Thanks for the info. I painted all my road stripes right now and I have to say they look ok but not as good as I want. I'm just not a painter. Your stripes look good in the photos but that is expensive. Great idea on the dump trucks. I have a lot of Boley trucks and am gonna have to look at doing this for mine.

By the way, the river bed looks good. What did you use for the bushes? :)

I will take a look at the thread!
    EDIT: I like the water. We need to talk!! :thumb: I want to create something similar but the area for the water is MUCH larger! :twisted:
  3. TruckLover

Yeah the stripes are pretty expensive, im going to try and spray a clear coat over some of the stripes, i think that will help. They are very easy to lay down if i member correctly (did it a few months ago lol) and as you can see they curve very well

Thanks for the comments on the river bed. I used Woodland Scenics Tauls and the bushes are WS bushes. Also the water is WS Realistic Water lol
  4. TruckLover

the water is easy to do, there are just a couple key things you need to do to make sure that you get the best effect. The water that is in the pics above did not come out as well as it should have, and it is because the area was not completely sealed off, so the water found every single nook and cranny to drain out into the plaster scenery

Sent me a PM or start a new thread on the topic and ill explain more lol
  5. HO King

HO King Member

Josh good buddy how ya doin ?

About the stripes I tryed the tape thing to and they would not stay so I ended up laying boarder tape and painting my lines . The magic term would be steady as she goes:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  6. TruckLover

Im doing good :mrgreen: how about you? :wave:

Hmmmmm boarder tape? Can you elaborate a little more of what you did? :confused: :mrgreen:
  7. HO King

HO King Member

Ok here we go:cool:

I went to a car parts store like a Advance Auto and bought some detail tape.They come in different widths ( I new about the tape from when I detailed my 69 Firebird many years ago ,what they called pin stripping )
    Whats so good about it is you can make cool curves with it. You lay your tape with the space in between you want to paint . Take a small pain brush and paint your line . I like to use a thick paint depending on the surface you use the tape doesn't sit totally flush so if you use a very fluid paint it will run in cracks underneath the tape . Let the paint dry then lift the tape and hot dog:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:street lines.It will not come up well mine did'nt.
    There might be other tapes to use and they might be better . A Home Depot or Lowes or hardwares store might carry a line .Test it out:yep::yep:
    Let me know what you think:p:p:p

You may be surprized.:-o:-o:-o
  8. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

These are all going out this week in a trade for several freight cars.

Many of them are leftovers from my nephew's old transition era layout that I gave him for Christmas some years ago, trains, vehicles, structures and all. When it was torn down several years later he returned many of the items, some of which are on my current layout. Many of the others have been used in trades or just given away to others who could make use of them.
  9. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Well since this is the only place I can post a photo -- for now .wall1 Here are a few shots of progress on the 40 ford for the junk yard. That is IF there is anyone left to look at it.:eek:

In case none of you ever had a 40 ford coupe -- thats a fold down "jump" seat in the rear of the drivers side. I'm dissapointed that I can't photo the rear of the engine ( actually only a partial engine ---very partial -- "if ya can't see it don't model it" :cry:---a great piece of advice from the best modeler I know:mrgreen:) but I do have a bell housing showing thru the firewall with a geared flywheel showing-- it's the little blue-green spec you can barely see in one photo--- looks better in person. :twisted:

Attached Files:

10. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Well, I have started a new "junker". Here it is before & a couple in progress.

Attached Files:

11. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

You know Dave, I'd like to start a forum here just for scale models like yours & others in this thread. If I give you your own forum, would you consider moderating?
  12. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Parrot Oil stuff

I have been doing some work to a Parrot Oil truck (for more see logging in eastern TN on the DG CC & W RR- over in the logging mining and industrial railroad section.

Parrot oil was founded many long years ago in Honor of Paul Bird, who passed away last spring.

recently I painted up the woodlands scenics truck on the left. while I was working on that I remembered the tank cars that needed lettering and the logos. I nocked them out while I had the right paints around.

Bill Nelson

Attached Files:

13. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

The Forty Ford is DONE!

At last the 40 is done. Here it is.

Attached Files:

14. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

The last pictures .

Here are the last three pics.

Attached Files:

15. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking junker, good job.
  16. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Well , Maico --- not having a clue what a moderator does or how much time it takes I really can't say. How about explaining what it entails & perhaps I might like the job. Thanks for asking & perhaps we may work it out.
  17. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Hey !! I got one too!! A Truck that is.:p

Seems that a good share of this thread has been trucks-- well I have one in progress as well--- & it's HO scale too.
    Take a look. It is an early to mid forties auto hauler. A friend had a book of trucks & I saw it & fell in love with it. The tractor is a modified Athern .

Attached Files:

18. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Now that I've shown off my truck, here is a progress report on the merc convt.

Here it is with a new crunched & rusty Qtr panel made of a disposable aluminum baking tin.
    I also found a new use for my homemade corrugating tool & ciggarette pack foil --- pleated upholstery ! I got the back seat done with it. The "cotton" showing thru the split seams are tiny tufts of a "Cat Tail" stalk.

Attached Files:

19. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Now the front seats are done as well.

Attached Files:

20. ravster

ravster New Member

this still never fails to amaze me.