How about a "Plans & Blueprints Forum?"

Discussion in 'Plans & Blueprints' started by Russ Bellinis, May 24, 2008.

1. Wow, I think this is a great idea. I would like to see anything from a cad drawing to a scketch done on a scrap of paper. I would add when I can and know I would use the group for sure. I'm always looking for ideas to build from and know I would add if I ever scrached a project. Not a bad way for us to share what plans come with craftsman projects. I know I would like to review plans before I buy because I would have saved money not buying some of the junk I got.
    As far as format of documents I would say the standard PDF, JPG, and GIF would work and maybe we could use DOC as well. You never know someone may take someones drawing and turn them into great plans.
  2. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

So where do we go from here? What kinds of things do we need to help do to get it going?
  3. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

I think if there is a topic just for plans that the off topic posts get closed or erased. Either that or an entry topic and a closed academy like topic
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

This post raises two points, from a moderator/forum point-of-view:

1) Plans that are included in craftsman kits (and that are printed in magazines, etc) are subject to copyright. The usual "user agreement" implicit in the transaction is that you have purchased the plans for your own use - i.e. to build the model - and do not have the right to distribute them in any form. I know that many people would like the chance to "review" before purchasing, but that is not necessarily the intent of everyone - and isn't covered in the "agreement" anyway... which brings me to my next point.

2) You can always search The Gauge Product Review forum (or others). If you can't find anything, request feedback on a kit you plan to purchase. Members here will usually give you a good idea of what they think.

Having said that, I like the idea. We have some very talented members who are kind enough to share their work with us. :thumb: There are also a number of on-line resources for plans, including the US Library of Congress collection and other similar. Perhaps it could be a sub-forum of the Trackside Industries & Details forum.

5. See I wouldn't even think of copyright because I would want the kit but you are correct, need to protect the rights. I still like the idea for all those drawing we create or have to share.
  6. I for another think it is a fantastic idea, and I would be willing to submit any plans I have drawn up, that anyone requested.

Duane Hampton
  7. MasonJar

Just to let you know, we moderators and administrators are discussing how this new forum might fit with our existing structure.

Great to see all the support for this idea...! :thumb: :thumb:

8. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

This came up 6 months ago on one of the South Park yahoo groups...since no one was making money off of it, it was perfectly legal for me to post the drawings. Now, just because it is legal doesn't make it ok...but I was uploading instructions from a 30yr old craftsman kit...the firm that offered it disappeared 20yrs ago.

I don't really know that my drawings would be of much use to other modelers on here, since I'm the only On3 modeler.

I draw up whatever I need. I've got three pages of drawings and calcs on clerestory roof construction. I also have 3-4 pages on freight car truck designs. I've made a scale drawing of a Barney and Smith 1878 3' gauge coach, and drawn up the South Park's obscure Dawson & Bailey 4-4-0. Most recently, I redrew an end of the South Park's Pitkin depot to get an idea of the size in O scale (since my drawings are HO scale). I've also drawn up the basic lines of the D&RG 2-4-0s and the South Park's Cooke 2-8-0s. I used the lines of the 2-8-0 to cut out the sides of the engines frame and I'll also use this drawing to devise my plan of powering the locomotive (probably a large coreless motor and a yet to be determined gearbox).
  9. MasonJar

That's the beauty of plans - you can convert them to any scale. In this case, the HOn3 and HOn30 group comes immediately to mind...! ;)

A quick update for all of you following this discussion. We moderators are considering it carefully, and have some concerns we are working out. Any implementation will wait a little bit though until the recent upgrades to the forum as a whole are finished.

10. MasonJar

Hi all,

Thanks for following along. We will have a new Plans & Blueprints subforum located right here in Scratchin' & Bashin', likely within the next day or so.

So feel free to post your drawings and links there soon. See you there!