"house" appearance

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
While in the chat room, I mentioned moving the headlights of my rigid frame locos, down to the pilot deck, like they are on articulated locos. That, and hanging the bell on the front of the smokebox, help to establish a "house" look, or a feature common to a specific railroad. It gives the railroad an "identity".
In this case, I have two of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0s, one in HO (#590), and one in N (#593). Both have had the headlights moved, and the bells relocated. I also changed the whistle location, and style. In the N scale loco, I haven't yet built the railings on the ladders from the pilot deck to the walkways.
The first shot is a right side view of both locos.

Attachments

• smch5903.jpg
    smch5903.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 232

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice!!!! Man, I didn't realize N scale looked so good!!! I like the "home road" concept that ties the roster together. Neat idea!
Ralph

Mike R

Pete, that is terrific detailing and modeling. The engines look excellent.
At the risk of being beaten on by other gaugers, though, I didn't think that was the actual premise of 'house' modeling, since your HO and N engines are models of the same prototype.

I thought 'house' modeling was taking engines of different types and manufacturers, and giving them certain common attributes, where, for example only , you might take a Bachmann 2-8-0 steamer, a 4-6-2 by Bowser, and a 2-8-2 PFM brass engine, and give them similar detail placement, making them tie together somewhat.

No offense is intended by this post, as I said, your engines look great!:) :)
regards / Mike

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Mike,
The "house" in this case is the Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. They own a 3' gauge industrial line, The SM&CH, and have recently aquired the Wiscasset, Bucksport,& Schoodic Point, 30" gauge line, and the Shinnecock Hills Lumber Co. I have posted photos of the SHS&D 2-8-2, and the On30 2-8-2. Both have had the headlights and bells relocated to the positions preferred by the "owner". The SHL shays have not yet been modified, and there is a possibility that their superintendent might have his way and leave the locos the way they are. He feels that putting the headlights on the pilot deck, puts them at risk of damage from log handling. The SHL 2-6-6-2t had a close call with that situation, it is scheduled to have its bell relocated the next time it's in the shop for service. SHS&D's 2-4-4-2 has had the bell relocated to the smokebox front. Feasibility studies are ongoing concerning "standardization". The proposal is to use cross compound air pumps on all locos, and to standardize the location of the pumps. The people up at the WB&SP think cross compound pumps would be "overkill" on the smaller 30" gauge locos. There is also a proposal to go with one model of generator, and change its location to either in front of or behind the stack.
There is also talk of standardizing piping runs, with all hangers, fittings, and bends, in the same place, proportional to the size of the loco. I don't think that will happen.:D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
SHLC's 2-6-6-2t got in to the shop, and had some pilot deck repairs done, and had the bell moved up to the smokebox. It's seen here heading back west on the dual gauge line.

Attachments

• 2662twnubll.jpg
    2662twnubll.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 135

doctorwayne

Your shot of the 2-6-6-2t is really nice. Not just the loco, but the whole scene. Great looking trees too.
I do agree with your thoughts about giving your locos a family look. As long as things are kept plausible, it gives a free-lanced roster an air of believeability, and helps to make a locomotive something more than a Bachmann "this" or an Athearn "that". I'm modelling four free-lanced roads that are supposed to be affiliated, so even though their paint schemes are different, they all share some common details, and the car and loco numbering schemes are somewhat integrated.
As for your Bachmann 2-8-0s, they look good but I wouldn't have known that one of them was N scale if not for the shot of them together. The HO version is the mainstay of my own Grand Valley, although a couple of 2-10-2s should be arriving soon.
Wayne