hot glue gun

fernandico

Im new at this, and im actually building my first paper model (uss grissom star trek) at first I printed the templates on normal paper and then glued them to hard paper (almost as hard as cardboard) so when it come to the time of glueing sometimes the pieces dont stick so at that moment I just whip out the hot glue gun and glue the interiores so it wont show and in a few seconds it goes solid and found out it gives the model a more rigid form that it no longer seems to be delicate......is this appropriate to use whats your opinion

paper hollywood

Let us know how that works out for you. Personally, I avoid hot glue guns as much as possible. I find it way to easy to make a stringy mess of everything, but also because of it's low melting point. This may not be as much a problem with paper modeling since you want to store paper in a pretty cool place anyway, but I've had hot glue joints come loose from just sitting in too warm a place too long.

The most common glue for paper modeling is PVA/white glue. I think Alene's Tacky Glue line is the best I've used. Many modelers here use cyanoacrylate "super" glue for a fast bond, but I find Alene's suits my needs well enough if I let it air dry a couple of minutes before putting parts together. Another glue people like a lot is Beacon Zip Dry Paper Glue, but I haven't tried yet.

Rogerio Silva

Glues...

I can't use hot glue for paper models, because I'm too clumsy for that!:psign1 Now seriously: I use a transparent, alcohol-based PVA glue. Here in Brazil it's commonly called "styrofoam glue".
Many modelers, as paper hollywood wrote, use white glue, the usual "school glue". Me, I have tried it, but found out that it doesn't have enough grip to withstand paper tension. Maybe I used a low-quality glue, I don't know.
You'll see people using wood glue, and many other things. I am happy with my styrofoam glue, and do not intend to change, but I try to keep an open mind about it.
The essence here, in accordance with Tomas, is to have fun and be happy!:thumb::wave:

paper hollywood

There are some differences between PVA glues, I believe. I've done pretty well with Alene's. Wood glue is super strong, but you have to be careful where you put it because it dries with yellowish color.

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Oh I remember many times that I've burnt my poor digits with that dastard glue gun of mine. However! If I needed something really big glued together fast and solid I don't shy away from it although I'll admit it's been a long while since I used a hot glue gun and even longer since I made something big enough to need a hot glue gun...

It's overkill on something small but excellent for terrain pieces and large bulky structures. My twelve cents, keep the change.